Re: Large Logic template / Kontakt / Komplete Kontrol

Maxhombre
Maxhombre Member Posts: 50 Member

Hi Ni people,

I have a large Logic song pre-loaded startup song template that I use for orchestral, every Logic mixer channel is pre-loaded with its Kontakt 7 instrument set ready for use and then switched off in Logic until I need to use it, suffice to say the Logic song template has over 200+ pre-loaded channels.

My question is when using my Kontakt library within Logic I also want the functions of Komplete Kontrol too so that I can use the keyboard light guide for key switches / splits / scales etc would that mean that I would have to load up each channel with an instance of Komplete Kontrol first then load the Kontakt library and patch on every channel? as that would a separate instance of Komplete Kontrol on over 100+ pre-loaded tracks! or is there an easier way to do it globally?

Kind regards

Maxhombre

Comments

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,197 Expert
    edited May 2023

You can load Komplete Kontrol in your tracks INSTEAD of Kontakt (once you open the library in Komplete Kontrol, Kontakt will be loaded within in any case)

• Maxhombre

Many thanks LostInFoundation much appreciated, I’m now trying to work out how to get full version of Kontakt 7 to see my third party libraries in the Komplete Kontrol keyboard browser and also how I refresh the Kontakt library so that I can delete items and then they disappear from the Kontakt browser?

kind regards

Maxhombre

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,530 Expert

Yeah adding an instance of KK to 100+ tracks will mean you have KK + Kontakt on each track which for that many virtual instrument tracks will surely add quite a bit of load time and possible performance hits, i'd personally not want to even try 100+ instances but maybe you will be one of the few that it works well for...

3rd party libraries for Kontakt need to include NKS support from the developer, sadly many do not so if they don't then you will not have any Light Guide info to play with anyway nor will you ahve any pre-mapped controls so you would have to map the controls yourself and live without lightguide.

• Maxhombre

Many thanks for your reply Jester,

have started loading up Logic channels with instances of the Komplete Kontrol plug-in and once set with the instrument then the Logic channel is turned off, did speak to Apple about this and they say it doesn’t use up ram as it’s turned off but there’s very little info about these huge preloaded Logic startup template songs. I did have a few crashes but I figured that it would be with the S88 controller? But it’s all seems to work ok and I have 128gb of ram on board.

• JesterMgee

It would HAVE to use up RAM to have it pre-loaded unless Logic completely unloads everything which would mean if it is OFF you could not even open the plugin interface at all until enabled. Maybe Logic does have this ability but there would be a significant delay when switching an instance back on again for KK, the VST and whatever library content has to be loaded. Would also disable the ability to browse so not sure that is correct and this is easily confirmed by looking at your RAM usage with everything enabled vs disabled.

What they may be confusing in this case is that with VST3, the CPU cycles are completely disabled when an instance of an instrument is switched off. This is something VST3 offers that over VST2 so that may be more the case.

In any event, I would probably still do some careful comparisons to make sure that loading that many instances does not impede your workflow, just create and test a template and compare with the original, if it still functions the same and load times aren't too much of an issue etc, then that is your solution.

• Maxhombre

Is anyone one else on the forum running a large Logic Orchestral template with preloaded instruments? And any advice for me. I’m running iMac i9 / 128gb ram with Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol and Kontakt with VSL / Spitfire / Project Sam / Sonuscore Orch libraries. There’s very little info out there for working with these large Logic templates and how it works with the computer.

regards

maxhombre

• Maciej Repetowski
    Maciej Repetowski Member Posts: 389 Pro

Perhaps check on VI Control forum. They have lots of classical composers there using Logic with large orchestral templates. Mostly using Kontakt and VSL libraries.

• Maxhombre

Many thanks for the tip. Thankyou

• Maxhombre

UPDATE: Logic can handle up to 1000 channels in a large pre-loaded template you must remember to tick the 'Dynamic allocation' in one of the settings and then you can go ahead and pre-load instruments and turning the instrument off on the Logic channel will keep it dormant and not using ram, and its also worth noting that VST3's when not in use don't use ram but VST's are always on and using ram.

• JesterMgee

and its also worth noting that VST3's when not in use don't use ram but VST's are always on and using ram.

I think this refers to CPU not RAM. VST2 plugins would always process audio even when not in use so could eat up a feww CPU cycles doing nothing at all. Some large effects units could cause quite an impact even when no audio was running into them. VST3 addresses this by freezing the plugin process if there is no audio in/out of the plugin. RAM is always used to hold the plugin and whatever content is needed and that will persist so using VST3 would make no difference in RAM but will be way more efficient especially in an insane 1000 track template for sure.