If maschine expansions are game disc, I found an interesting thing.

swingmix
swingmix Member Posts: 114 Member
edited May 2023 in Maschine

I found an interesting thing. Everyone loves maschine expansions. I like it too.

If Maschine is a "game console", then expansions are equivalent to "game discs"

But many people are looking for better gaming machines for game discs.

This is like a PS game, instead of playing on the PS machine, I went to another machine.

I do see a lot of people trying to use maschine expansions with other DAWs.

But it should have been that maschine is most suitable for using its own expansions, but the result is not. Something is clearly wrong.

Actually, I am also using maschine expansions in STUDIO ONE now, how about you?

Tagged:

Comments

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,879 mod
    edited May 2023

If it's a gaming analogy you're looking for then I'd say Expansions are pretty much DLC's...

It expands the content available of the game from when you bought it, prologs it's lifespan and brings excitement for the player without all the work required to build a whole new major game version... AKA The cheapest way for a company to keep getting money of a product the user already owns.

But it should have been that maschine is most suitable for using its own expansions, but the result is not. Something is clearly wrong.

Highly subjective... Depends on what you specifically care most about in the Expansions content.

Its def the most suitable since its made for it but, if you like making music with another software better then yeah... it wont be the most suitable in that sense. I dont see non-Maschine users rushing to buy expansions tho, especially with so many sample-packs out there nowadays and... Splice.

Using Expansions in another software means you lose out on a ton of it's content, mainly the Group/Kit's, sure you can also use them with Battery but it's def not designed for it so we miss out on fx, audio loops that require the pattern, etc... Also Sounds are Maschine exclusive, Patterns in Kits, Projects, the NKS organised tagged browser stuff, Drum Synth presets, etc, etc...

Outside of Maschine I only use the expansions wav's or instrument presets maybe.

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,255 Expert

Sorry swingmix…D-One analogy was better ☺️. He won first fight. Not a Game Over…but…

ROUND TWO

READY?

FIGHT

• swingmix
    swingmix Member Posts: 114 Member

Yes, DLC, recently played Resident Evil 8's Daughter DLC, it was amazing.

I started to try a production method this afternoon, which is to use maschine for simple editing, export the audio, and then use STUDIO ONE for stitching, which I think is also fine.

I hear MASCHINE 3.0 is coming soon?

• D-One

LOL. Dang, that's Tekken from like 2001 or something... that brings back some childhood/teen memories.

@swingmix said:

I started to try a production method this afternoon, which is to use maschine for simple editing, export the audio, and then use STUDIO ONE for stitching, which I think is also fine.

I think most people use this workflow, make basic stuff on Maschine then export the Audio to a DAW and fully arrange and add detail/mixing there.

@swingmix said:

I hear MASCHINE 3.0 is coming soon?

Been hearing that for the past 7 years, at least. There was a point in time when there was a new thread asking about 3.0 every month...

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,255 Expert
    edited May 2023

7 years IS soon in NI vocabulary 😂😂😂

If they were games developers, we would still be playing to THAT Tekken 😂😂😂

• Zobie
    Zobie Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

Hey!

Thank you for your kind information. It's appreciated.

Whether I didn't fully understand the PS game but I have got a question that 'Is Stumble Guys a PS game?". If yes, can I play that game on machine discs or game discs?

Or can you please guide me on which games are PS games? Thank You in advance:)

• Maciej Repetowski
    Maciej Repetowski Member Posts: 406 Pro

I would like to have Expansions player software (engine, like Kontakt, Reaktor, etc.). Basically just browser from Maschine with audio previews for kits, set of 16 pads which can be remapped to different MIDI notes and built in mixer and stock FXs.

Maschine Player without sequencer and plug-in hosting to simply use with any DAW.

• D-One
  • BigPictureSound
    BigPictureSound Member Posts: 47 Member

I only use Maschine expansions within Maschine. Their versatility to either be used as static wav's or in conjunction with presets/modulation is imo best-in-class. Beats the heck out of all the folder based samples.

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,353 Expert

I use the Maschine VST in Cubase exactly like that since forever. Browse, load and tweak sounds and samples, ignore all other features. It’s my go-to elektro percussion drum machine.

• Maciej Repetowski

Battery is not developed anymore, there is no kit previews and the interface is clunky and tiny. I was thinking about new app (or streamlined Maschine) - hence the name: Expansion Player.

• Maciej Repetowski

So do I, in Logic Pro. I was thinking of a more streamlined version, new code with HiDPI, etc.

One can dream ;)

• D-One
    edited July 2023

I think it's more likely you will get something like that built inside KK rather than a new NI product dedicated to expansions... At one point they added basically the MAS Sampler to KK, adding full kit/group functionality would just be another step towards that.

Come to think about it, the Play Series instrument is also more or less an Expansion Player for the Drum Instruments, emphasis on: more or less...

Interesting topic tho, as Expansions are popular to the point there's a new one every month so they clearly sell, yet the product they are supposed to work best is totally neglected to the point of starting to feel abandoned.

• StephanRees
    StephanRees Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

It's pretty neat to see how versatile they can be. Currently, I'm trying them out with Ableton Live, and it's been a fun experience. I guess people are always looking for the best way to enjoy their favorite games (or sounds, in this case), and sometimes that means taking them to different "gaming machines.