How to play midi track on KK (abbey road sounds) from TD12 Roland midi controller

Olivier33
Olivier33 Member Posts: 7 Member

Hi,

I cannot play with TD-12 the Abbey road sound, only my keyboard does - I cannot switch to other midi controller in the KK software

I have been able to play with TD-12 on Apple Logic Drums kit. Midi notes were recorded, I have then copied . pasted the notes on a new instrument midi based on KK Abbey sounds - but even if the notes could be seen, there is no sound coming out... (seen screen shot) - when I do the same exercice with another KK instrument, this is working...

I do not understand why these midi notes cannot be played?

In KK software, I have selected all MIDI controller, including TD-17 (see screen shot below)

So, if there is a setup that could be implemented in order to allow me using the TD-12 controller to play KK sound that could be interesting, or at least I can record midi note on Apple Drums kit, but I would like then to copy past to KK Abbey sound.

TD-12 : Roland eDrum (connected to my Mac thru USB connector)

DAW : Logic Pro

KK : Komplete Kontrol s61 (connected thru USB connector)

Best Answers

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,624 mod
    Answer ✓

@Olivier33 By default Komplete Kontrol is set to MIDI channel 1. Make sure to set up your TD 12 to Channel 1. You should be able to play both the keyboard and the TD 12, given that they are both selected as input in Logic's preferences, under MIDI.

It might be easier if you are using the Kontakt plug-in instead of the Komplete Kontrol plug-in, you will loose the control integration but will keep the MIDI and Kontakt is easier to set up when it comes to MIDI channels: Configuring your MIDI Keyboard / Controller in KONTAKT

To match the notes emitted from your TD12 to the library you also need to select the correct mapping in the options:

I hope that helps!

• Olivier33
    Answer ✓

Sorry I found an easiest way through TD17 module, I could give dedicated midi note on each pad so, I was able to map the midi note in easier way on the TD17 module.

For info on TD17:

Choose a Kit

Press OTHER

scroll down to the ICON called MIDI NOTE

Hit a pad and use the wheel to select the midi note (perform the same on all pad needed and articulation)

press DRUM KIT button and the setting are saved

Topic to be closed :)

Answers

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,253 Expert

Are you sure Midi is been sent on correct channel?

• Olivier33

Thanks for quick feedback

I do not know - how should I select the channel setup ? I am surprised as this is working fine with Apple Drum kits in Logic but not when using KK bank sounds

This is not explaining also why when I copy paste MIDI track I cannot hear the KK sounds.

• DunedinDragon
    DunedinDragon Member Posts: 432 Pro
    edited May 2023

It's hard to understand what you're saying here. The first thing you need to do is connect your Abbey Road KK to an empty MIDI track in Logic and then test your sounds in KK to make sure you have the inputs and channels correct for playback on your Logic track. Then add the MIDI notes once you know everything is working correctly.

There may be some problems between the original drum track and the Abbey Road track in the definitions of the MIDI notes and what drum parts they play that you may need to adjust. It's also highly unlikely in my experience that the TD12 MIDI map will match everything correctly in the Abbey Road drum kit.

• Olivier33

Hi

I open Logic, I create new MIDI track, I am selecting KK and I select Abbey drum kit.

I have my S61 connected, and I can play drums with it, without any issue. But TD 12 cannot manage playing Abbey track note.

I set new MIDI track, I kept Apple Drum Kits - I play with my TD 12 and I heard the drums of Apple kit and I can record it.

I have my MIDI notes set in Logic, I decide to copy past this track into the KK Abbey track file, no sound coming out, even if I see the keyboard notes activated (color indicators)00 when I read the track.

I set a new MIDI track on logic, using KK instrument by chance, I record note that I am playing with S61. I copy the MIDI track into the Abbey ones, and I heard the notes.

So, when I record TD-12 MIDI track from Apple kits, look like this midi track cannot be read by KK Abbey instrument. The color notes activated correspond to snare/kick so they are affected to instrument that should normally play something.

Can I manage having 2 midi controller (S61 and TD-12) on the same time? I hope this is possible. But on KK, I cannot select TD-12 as MIDI controller ? this is normal ? Or should I disconnect S61 one ?

And I do not understand this story about copy / paste MIDI track...

If I could make a film (not screen shot) that could be helpful to understand, how could I do this on MAC ?

Thanks

Olivier

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,624 mod
    Answer ✓

@Olivier33 By default Komplete Kontrol is set to MIDI channel 1. Make sure to set up your TD 12 to Channel 1. You should be able to play both the keyboard and the TD 12, given that they are both selected as input in Logic's preferences, under MIDI.

It might be easier if you are using the Kontakt plug-in instead of the Komplete Kontrol plug-in, you will loose the control integration but will keep the MIDI and Kontakt is easier to set up when it comes to MIDI channels: Configuring your MIDI Keyboard / Controller in KONTAKT

To match the notes emitted from your TD12 to the library you also need to select the correct mapping in the options:

I hope that helps!

• Olivier33

Hi,

I have difficulties to assign on the TOM1 only TOM1 centerL/R sound. I always have two sounds (one TOM and one Splash played together) - even if on the Instrument I saw TOM1 and on the articulation CenterL/R when I play my TOM1.

When I play TOM1 I saw in the note area that the note selected is C2.

In the guideline, I see TOM1 CenterR is E6 - so I have tried to select the E6 note in this dedicated area and try to apply change but that is not working

(select by midi is activated below note).

Just for info, my edrum is TD-17 not the 12, so I do not know if there is existing preset of the TD-17?

Thanks in advance for your advice

Olivier

• Olivier33

In addition, this is not clear to me the different articulation description wrt to HH configuration.

to set closed, I used my pedal, but to set OPEN, I need to start with closed HH and remove my feet from the pedal ? (so I need to be closed to my drum kit to do so:))

If a video is existing on how to set midi mapping on edrum using the AR kits, it will be very useful :)

Thanks

• Olivier33
    Answer ✓

Sorry I found an easiest way through TD17 module, I could give dedicated midi note on each pad so, I was able to map the midi note in easier way on the TD17 module.

For info on TD17:

Choose a Kit

Press OTHER

scroll down to the ICON called MIDI NOTE

Hit a pad and use the wheel to select the midi note (perform the same on all pad needed and articulation)

press DRUM KIT button and the setting are saved

Topic to be closed :)