M32 controling external synth via midisport 2x2 isn't working

jackasspenguin
jackasspenguin Member Posts: 14 Member

I have a NI M32 and I'm trying to control a Roland jx3p via a midisport 2x2. I have installed a midi upgrade kit into the 3p. What I can do....record midi input from the 3p and play it back. I can see the recorded events and hear the synth through headphones. What I can't do is control the synth with my M32 at all. There isn't any selection in the drop down menu that lest me control that synth.

There should be a way to control all they synths parameters via CC. I'm not able to do that. For example the Filter Cutoff is CC 19 in the 3p. I need to find a way to assign a knob on the m32 to control the filter cuttoff in the 3p in real time. The whole reason why I bought the midi upgrade kit was to be able to control parameters on the 3p because it doesn't have any controls on the synth like the Juno 106 does etc etc.

Best Answer

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 2,968 mod
    Answer ✓

Hello,

you would need a program to route midi from the M32 via the midisport to the jx3p. You can use maschine stand alone to do that and save the pad then as group. there are even already some presets under "pad - maschine - MIDI Ext." there is a JX 03 for example. In my oppinion this is the easiest way, even if you use a daw and route then midi from maschine to a midi track and to the synth. But if you try it use maschine stand alone first.

Answers

• Uwe303
    Answer ✓

Hello,

you would need a program to route midi from the M32 via the midisport to the jx3p. You can use maschine stand alone to do that and save the pad then as group. there are even already some presets under "pad - maschine - MIDI Ext." there is a JX 03 for example. In my oppinion this is the easiest way, even if you use a daw and route then midi from maschine to a midi track and to the synth. But if you try it use maschine stand alone first.

• jackasspenguin

Hey Uwe303. I finally figured out what I was doing wrongs. In the Komplete Kontrol stand alone I was only changing the value under the knob and not the field below it. So I don't even know what that's for. At any rate. I also have Maschine MK3. I'll try to figure out how to do what you are talking about.

I'm not super strong with Maschine either but I'll give it a go later tonight.

I see midi ext. If you have any templates or pictures you can share with me to get me started I'd appreciate that. I'm thinking this will be a better route because I can label all the knobs so I know what they are for instead of ust the midiCC like in the Komplete Kontrol setup. Unless I'm mistaken.

I'll get started on this later this evening.

• Uwe303

You can use your m32 with maschine too. Then you touch the knob and you have the label of the knob in the display. This might also help you:

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001075809-Setting-Up-MASCHINE-MIDI-Presets-to-Control-External-Hardware-Instruments

• jackasspenguin

Super! I've got some work to do. I'll see how far I can get. But if there is a JX-3P preset I think I'll be good to go. Thanks a bunch for the help. I'll get back with my progress! Cheers!

• Uwe303

I was looking for a tutorial but could not find it anymore, im sure there was one detailed, so i made a picture and hope it helps you to make your own presets. As you already know you need the midi implementation chart of your synth to look up the cc numbers then you add them as shown in the picture. You can add pages and browse all from maschine or the m32.

• jackasspenguin

That's perfect. I'll get in there this evening and see how far I can get with this. Thanks so much.

I'm guessing if the Filter Cuttoff is say CC19 I set a macro so that knob in say the far left is set to CC19

and I can label it as Filter Cuttoff?

• jackasspenguin

I'm probably missing something here. I think my version is 2.16.1 So, I'm a bit confused. 2.6 is greater than 2.16.1 But.......I don't have any available updates in Native Access. If my software is up to date.....

Then there are no ext. midi or other items available that is outlined in the guide.

• jackasspenguin

I do have the implementation chart for my Jx-03. I think I can just sit down and plug in all the values. i'm just a bit puzzled as to why my software doesn't show the same stuff as I'm seeing in demonstration videos. Under the Sounds and Groups there isn't anything that says Ext.

• Uwe303
    edited May 2023

Look at my first post there i have selected "maschine" expansion instead off "all sounds" then it shows up for me. And if you create your own preset then you have to go to "user presets" and you'll find it there, user presets you select with the little man sign.

• jackasspenguin

Super! After some confusion..... I see that I don't own the complete Maschine Factory 2 library I only have "Selection" so....I don't that those templates. I supposed I could come up with the 99 bucks to get the full complement however.......I spent an hour last night creating my own JX-3P Group with all the midi CC data dialed into the macro section. So....I can do what I needed which is really.....dial in sounds from an external source without having to input it from the interface on the synth. I'm interested in seeing what "they" came up with compared to how I dialed it in....because....I did the filter section first....and really all the real time controls if I want to use it that way in a DAW. The only complaint I have is that the synth kept freezing up and would hang up with a note on and kick all the midi off. So...I had to close Maschine and start it back up several times. I mean like a lot. But at least I can look and see the labels and know what I'm dealing with on a screen. So I'm really stoked to be able to do that. I mean it would be awesome to have the PG-200 or a 3rd party option but they are very expensive compared to the synth. I was interested in finding another option.........espcially since I'll need to get the midi upgrade installed on this synth as well and it's like 140 bucks from Australia. Super cool friend! I appreciate all your help Cheers! Johnny

• Uwe303

You can download the presets here but you don't need them i guess, you now make your own: https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001075809-Setting-Up-MASCHINE-MIDI-Presets-to-Control-External-Hardware-Instruments