Moving computers

I know this might sounds like a stupid question, but I need to know. Does factory resetting your computer rid all of the native instruments files? Or do I need to delete them individually before factory resetting? Im going to be moving computers soon and don't want to breach the end license agreement.

Best Answer

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,194 Expert
    Answer ✓

It’s not a stupid question at all…

Resetting will surely delete all your NI products, but will Native Access “notice it”?

Quite a clever question, I would say…

Answers

• LostInFoundation
    Answer ✓

It’s not a stupid question at all…

Resetting will surely delete all your NI products, but will Native Access “notice it”?

Quite a clever question, I would say…

• Distressed Motion
    Distressed Motion Member Posts: 19 Member

I just am mortified of losing any of my licenses since I use native instruments products almost exclusively. So would you recommend to delete native access first before the factory reset?

• LostInFoundation
    edited April 2023

I don’t know what to suggest. Programs deleted are deleted, in my mind, no matter how. But Native Access surely doing everything correctly… I wouldn’t put my trust blindly into this in these days…

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

No problem to reset/reinstall computer. NI does not count licences used. They trust customers not to violate EULA. There is no counter of licences currently used.

The only thing NI may monitor (I do not say they monitor it, I do not know) is list/number of installations and last update date or NA activation for each installation. It would indicate, more or less, how many installations is activelly used.

• LostInFoundation
    edited April 2023

Could you elaborate a little more pls? It’s not too clear. You say they do not count licenses, but after you say they could monitor number of installations and NA activation for each installation.

This is exactly the OP question: if by resetting the computer Native Access doesn’t “notice” that the programs have been uninstalled from a previous computer (which I hope it does, but as I said, I won’t be sure 100%), he could have problems installing them in a new one.

The fact that probably they don’t control these things for all users doesn’t mean they could do sweep controls. Even when MP3 and their program to download them “free” came out not all users get controlled, but the few that did had to pay astronomic fines for it 😶

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

I spoke about theoretical technical possibilities NI has... I do not know, if they use it, or not. Better said, if they store and possibly analyse those data that thay have. It may be that they do not care and do not store those data....

NI provides no means to unregister installation. They just trust users. I never had problems. I have already installed Komplete on five computers and uninstalled on two.... Actively using on two and not using on one old one.

What I meant is, that NI has, theoretically, the way to monitor if someone is not violating EULA in great scale. Like sharing account with many users and having hundreds of installations....

• LostInFoundation

Thank you.

• Distressed Motion
    Distressed Motion Member Posts: 19 Member

Thank you all very much. That helped me a lot. I have moved computers in the past, but I was only using one computer at the time. Again thank you all for the help.

• R. Vega
    R. Vega Member Posts: 3 Member

Thanks to NI for not being so overprotected with licensing and trust in us not abusing. 😍

I have a question, for the general public..... Who does it?

Which VST and FX providers count their license of installation and there we have to be careful of removing the license from the computer about to be reset/reformatted/sold.... ?

I know the obvious for which even you have to install a license manager that clearly counts instalations.

My question is about those who apparently does not count them, but they might surprise you with an error message in your next installation in your new computer....