KOMPLETE Collector's Edition "member"?

srhickman
srhickman Member Posts: 2 Member
edited April 2023 in Komplete General

I've been buying NI products since they became a company. I've been purchasing KOMPLETE since it became a product offered by NI. I don't remember ever missing a version. I've been buying KOMPLETE ULTIMATE and ULTIMATE Collector's Edition since they became a product. I like, believe in, and support NI software products. Here's my frustration with buying each new KOMPLETE. The day I buy the latest KOMPLETE, I'm up to date with all NI software products. Then, soon the next cool product is released by NI that I want (several have come out since I bought KOMPLETE 14 Collectors Edition last Fall). But I can't justify buying it since it will be included in the next KOMPLETE. I'd love to have a way for KOMPLETE owners to always be "up to date". I realize that means a fee of some kind and I'm willing to pay to be a KOMPLETE Collector's Edition "member" or "subscriber" or whatever. Am I the only one that feels this way?

Comments

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

I have suggested in another thread, that NI could sell Update to next KxU CE for the price of Update (or a bit more) and users would get every new plugin that will come to next KxU CE.

It would save the frustration of some users. Might be also benefitial to NI as they would get money way ahead....

It would be in many ways simmilar to MSDN (Microsoft Developer Network) licence plan by Microsoft. The only difference is that MSDN is time defined (one buys 'support' for x years), while in NI case it would be defined by next Komplete version.

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,274 Guru

A plan like this is crucial for NI to remain competitive in the changing marketplace.

For example, EastWest offers EVERYTHING they have plus all new releases for $20/month subscription.

• Kubrak

But one does not own it, if one stops paying, no licence anymore. If one pays for two years it makes almost 500 USD, four years almost 1000 USD...

The simplest and easy to implement is to sell Update Licence way ahead the release.

• nightjar
    edited April 2023

Yes, this approach great for those who already own a big bundle for sure. But if I was coming in as a new user, I would love to dive in and have everything for $20/month and avoid the big upfront chunk of money on something that might sit idle quite often

• nightjar
    edited April 2023

Kontakt came out in 2002.. so roughly 20 years. Imagine if you had been paying $20/month to have all of Kontakt and any NI Komplete content that followed... 20 years X $240 year = $4800.

Have you spent more than $4800 on NI Kontakt/Komplete over the past 20 years?

I bet you have... easily much more than that probably.

NI needs to compete with new reality of marketplace.

• Kubrak

He did not have to pay more. One may buy things secondhand, update/upgrade buy at Sales and one does not have Update every second year. Do not forget, that not everyone wants/needs everything just now....

I was OK with Select first two years, with Komplete next two years, with Ultimate next two years, with CE next two years. Always buying in Sale. So, it took 8 years for first Update. Those 8 years cost me 800 EUR and I had pernament licence for ever. If I was on subscription, I would have too many plugins at start, eight years would cost me 1 920 EUR and when I stop paying I have nothing at hands...

Not speaking about option, that I may sell my licences at the end for say 600 EUR, so that 8 years of using plugins would cost me 200 EUR. Less than one year of subscription fee...

• nightjar

Welp to each their own.

I welcome the subscription option and look forward to it if it is WELL DESIGNED!

• srhickman
    srhickman Member Posts: 2 Member

Thanks guys for the conversation. I'd happily pay for the next Komplete CE update in advance in order to have each new product as it's released. Whether that's a monthly fee or paid all at once. I agree that that would be beneficial to NI. As soon as Komplete 15 is released, I'd purchase the update to Komplete 16 in advanced in order to stay up to date with all Komplete products. Seems like a great idea to me. Doing this with all the various versions of Komplete I agree could get confusing. Perhaps NI doesn't know now what will be included in the various levels. So maybe this only works for CE users. That's why I mentioned being a "Collector's Edition member". A special perk only offered to CE members.