Why can I NOT hear previews in Kontakt 7?

Bobby Rothschild
Bobby Rothschild Member Posts: 32 Member

I'm using Kontakt 7 vers. 7.3.0 with Logic Pro vers. 10.7.7 with Ventura 13.3.1

I cannot get my Kontakt 7 to preview sounds. My software is less than 2 years old, so I shouldn't need the Previews library. Full Disk Access is properly set. What's the problem?

Best Answer

• Kymeia
    Kymeia Member Posts: 3,605 Expert
    edited May 2023 Answer ✓

Well that's good to know - I suspect it was installing the previews that did it but they may have needed to initialise first. The advice is usually to load Kontakt standalone first after installing any content so maybe it was scanning them in the background.

Answers

• Kymeia

Why do you think you don't need the previews library? I think you probably do

• Bobby Rothschild

NI claims that all libraries after released after 2017 don't need the Previews library.

• Kymeia
    edited April 2023

I have not seen that before. Still, why not try installing previews and see if you then can hear them? It would at least rule in/out one potential cause

• Bobby Rothschild

I reinstalled the Previews and they still don't work. I was informed by Uwe that the Previews don't work when using Kontakt 7 as a plug-in in Logic Pro. At least somebody has a clear answer.

• Kymeia
    edited May 2023

A clear answer isn't always the right answer. Previews do work in Logic, in Kontakt 7 and Komplete Kontrol. I have it open right now and am going through them. I assume you are using the Kontakt 7 browser for previews, not trying to hear them using the library rack view? Also have you made sure you have not accidentally muted them (I have done that on occasion)

• Kymeia

Look I can prove it - this screen recording app doesn't record sound but you can see the mixer volume moves when I click on a preview for NI and some third party content

https://capture.dropbox.com/TYeFOyd4OkbIDbtW

• Bobby Rothschild

Well, mine doesn't work. They are not muted. No, I'm not in Rack View, I'm in the Kontakt 7 full screen. I am familiar with how Kontakt 7 works.

• Kymeia

OK so there must be some other factor at work that we need to narrow it down to, at least you know they should be working.

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 2,967 mod

I did not say, that it's not working, @Kymeia is absolutely right with his posts

• Bobby Rothschild

So I loaded an instrument into Kontakt 7 by double clicking a sample from the wide screen. It changes to the rack view, and the instrument sounded. So then I returned to the wide view and I loaded some parameters (ie bass/digital), then the preview sounds worked. And from that point forward they are working.

I don't know why the sounds triggered after I added an instrument as the 1st instrument, and then the 2nd worked. I have added several new tracks and all of the Kontakt 7 previews sounds are working.

No idea why. Thanks to both of you; Kymeia & Uwe! Much appreciated.

• Kymeia
    edited May 2023 Answer ✓

Well that's good to know - I suspect it was installing the previews that did it but they may have needed to initialise first. The advice is usually to load Kontakt standalone first after installing any content so maybe it was scanning them in the background.

• Bobby Rothschild

Thanks for that last comment with the advice about loading the standalone 1st. I moused around so much that I lost track of the order of things, but your idea that they were scanning in the background makes a lot of sense. Thanks again.