Sub-optimal experience installing update from Komplete 13 Ultimate to 14 Collectors

Martin Schmid
Martin Schmid Member Posts: 66 Member
edited May 2023 in Native Access

Hi.. I just purchased the upgrade taking advantage of the 40% offer.

However, ran into some sub-optimal experiences.First... once downloaded, actual installation of some of the larger libraries (e.g., take a VERY long time.. like hours... there's no indication that there's even any progress being made. Sometimes getting messages like below.. ("There might be an issue...")... what is even meant here by 'Service'.. something on my machine? some service in the 'cloud' that I'm connecting to?

As I was writing this, another message popped up...

Note... seems the downloads have ceased...

I had to repeat this process a number of times (was downloading 99 new components initially). One issue is that the Mac goes into sleep, or whatever, and thus downloads stopped (in fact.. seems the network connection actually got disconnected).. I never had this happen except when running Native Access 2.

If there are log files, or whatever, that may be used to improve the experience for others in the future, I am happy to provide them.. in the mean time, I'll see if I can restart as suggested in the last message above, and have things finish up.

Tagged:

Answers

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

Has anything been installed?

What comes to my mind, maybe that NTK has not been installed correctly if at all.

I am not Mac user, but it seems to me that NA2 (more precisely NTK) still needs Rosetta. I may be wrong.

Generally, some users have problems with NA2. You might try older version of NA2, not the current one...

• Martin Schmid

@Kubrak yes... most of the libraries installed fine.. seems to get sketchy w/ the large libraries.

• Martin Schmid

one at a time... not an optimal experience... the installer experience should be reliable so it can be done over night, for example, or when I'm waking away for a substantial amount of time. .e.g., installing Lores (after download) is seems is already taking over one hour.... why - am I unique in it taking so long? the download file and install location are on a 2000MB/s SSD connected w/ 20Gbps 1.65ft USB C cable).

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,198 Expert

You are not unique at all. NA has serious problems. Let’s hope they fix it (hope is the only thing left)

• Martin Schmid

@LostInFoundation thx for that... It's a two edge sword... focus on the capabilities of all the various products.. or on this type of issue, which is sort of the first experience w/ using any of said products. Once it's successfully installed, no matter how painful, after it's done.. it's done (at least, until the next update.. which given the experience, may give pause to jump on).

• arachnaut
    arachnaut Member Posts: 81 Advisor

Every new Komplete may add new users requesting stuff and new users might download a lot more than older users.

Also there may be server issues, but I think they have this under management with other vendor associations and collaborations.

• Kubrak

But NI cannot give 20 Gbit/s to each download session. I get from them about 50 Mbit/s. My connection is 200 Mbit/s, but I can use only 100 Mbit/s because of using old router which I do not want to change for newer.

IMHO, NI made wrong step to go just download way. Not all customers have reliable internet connection and more downloading users make higher demands on servers. Mainly in time of releases and Season Sales.... And it makes people unsatisfied...

Imagine that you would have to download and install complete K14U CE, not just Update from K12U CE, which is, say, just one third of the whole Bundle....

• Martin Schmid

@Kubrak my point of 20GB/s was not in reference to downloading from NI..

I already had the file download.

Even with the file already downloaded, it still took about 2 hours to install the 70gb library on that same high speed drive and connection.

• Kubrak

I see. Yes, installation takes time, my guess is they recode it and it does nor require just fast discs, but also strong CPU and maybe also lots or RAM helps. Or what about antivirus program scan?

Anyway it installs on my setup in ten minutes or so, so hard to say why it took two hours on your system...

I guess, you are on Mac, disc should be formated certain way, otherwise things take long. But I guess, you already know that.

• Martin Schmid
    edited April 2023

@Kubrak yes, on Mac... I formatted per the recommendations of NI (APFS per this)

• arachnaut
    arachnaut Member Posts: 81 Advisor

One old way - the carrier pigeon - was a fallback. NI once offered a flash drive with everything on them. By overnight express you can start the install in two days and finish in the same overall time.

• Kubrak

NI could place it on tor-rent. People with fast connection would download it fast, people with slow connection would download it slowly or get it downloaded by someone with fast connection...