CLIPPING INPUT VOLUME

Homemade Rain
Homemade Rain Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

Hi, I have a KOMPLETE AUDIO 1 INTERFACE conected to a SE X1 A MICROPHONE and I can't adjust the input volume to avoid clipping everytime I sing a little high. After clipping occurs the audio is intermittent, it starts to appear chopped (I use Waveform could it be that?). For me the configuration that works better is: using 48V, Line, Gain (left knob closer to IN1) turned at the right almost completely, Gain (under Line) right in the middle, the Input knob close to Host, and the knob at the right, right in the middle. Could you help me? I don't know what to do. Thanks.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• just_jump
    just_jump Member Posts: 76 Helper
    Answer ✓

From a quick glance it looks like you’re using a condenser mic which means it needs the 48v phantom power and is plugging into the 3 pin xlr input on the left of the interface. The closest gain knob is the only one effecting that input. The knob below the 48v looks like a monitoring knob - left monitoring direct input and right monitoring computer output (after processing). This should all be explained in the manual. Basically direct input monitoring is for 0 latency monitoring when your system can’t process fast enough.

If you’re clipping then turn down than left gain knob until you aren’t. I don’t know if the interface input is clipping (it should indicate such) or whatever your recording into possibly due to plugins (in which case it isn’t really clipped and you just need to adjust your gain from plugins). Also you might need to work on your technique as far as singing into a mic - probably start by backing away.

Answers

• just_jump
    just_jump Member Posts: 76 Helper
    Answer ✓

From a quick glance it looks like you’re using a condenser mic which means it needs the 48v phantom power and is plugging into the 3 pin xlr input on the left of the interface. The closest gain knob is the only one effecting that input. The knob below the 48v looks like a monitoring knob - left monitoring direct input and right monitoring computer output (after processing). This should all be explained in the manual. Basically direct input monitoring is for 0 latency monitoring when your system can’t process fast enough.

If you’re clipping then turn down than left gain knob until you aren’t. I don’t know if the interface input is clipping (it should indicate such) or whatever your recording into possibly due to plugins (in which case it isn’t really clipped and you just need to adjust your gain from plugins). Also you might need to work on your technique as far as singing into a mic - probably start by backing away.