Kontakt 6 - changing settings in libraries in Multi screws up all parameters

Operator_Tank
Operator_Tank Member Posts: 3 Member

Working with Kontakt 6 as VST3 in Cubase Pro 11.0.41 als multi track instrument with 12 instruments over 12 Midi channels and 12 outputs. Over various Kontakt 6 versions now including latest 6.7.0 I constantly run into issues with changing library parameters for higher Midi channels. With instruments in higher Instrument slots / Midi channels (e.g. channel 9), the moment I want to change one parameter in a library, all parameters of the selected page change to the same level/setting, which obviously screws up the entire sound. This is across various libraries including Native libraries.

Changing parameters in lower slots, so e.g. instrument / Midi channel 1 or 2 etc. works as expected.

Is this a known issue? Can't find another post about this.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,023 mod
    Answer ✓

Oh, I may have misread your original post.

Please inspect what is assigned to what in Automation tab. Check both Host Automation and MIDI Automation tabs. What you're looking for is if there may be multiple parameters assigned to a single host automation slot or a MIDI CC number.

Answers

• EvilDragon
    edited February 2022

Make sure Options->Loading->Unwind automation IDs for additionally loaded patches option is ENABLED. Reload your DAW project.

• Operator_Tank

Thanks EvilDragon. Appreciate the quick response.

Unfortunately I have that option already activated.

• EvilDragon
    Answer ✓

Oh, I may have misread your original post.

Please inspect what is assigned to what in Automation tab. Check both Host Automation and MIDI Automation tabs. What you're looking for is if there may be multiple parameters assigned to a single host automation slot or a MIDI CC number.

• Operator_Tank
    edited February 2022

Ok, I found something: the moment the "host automation" list fills #511 and would have to go beyond, the issue starts. Obviously this requires a bunch of instruments to be loaded (mostly 9+ instruments during tests). It simply "stacks" any further host automation parameters for instruments into #511 causing the issue. If you remove then everything assigned to #511 (which can be a lot depending on the instrument(s) loaded) it starts to work again.

That however sounds like a Kontakt bug to me. If all host parameters are filled, Kontakt shouldn't just pile them all into #511. It should simply stop assigning them IMO. Or is this something that needs to be addressed by the corresponding libraries? I couldn't think of how.

Not sure how good your contacts to NI are, but maybe they could implement a warning like "host automation parameters filled" etc. and you can't automate anything for these instruments (which would be fine by me).

In any case: thanks EvilDragon - definitely the correct tip to look in the right place. It will help me avoid this, or at least get around it in some cases. Annoying though.

• EvilDragon
    edited February 2022

I would say once you reach that point of 512 automation params, it's probably better to just open a new Kontakt instance. My NI contacts are pretty darn good, but I cannot promise anything will change regarding automation handling any time soon. 😀