Komplete Kontrol S25 Question

Attila Horvath
Attila Horvath Member Posts: 14 Member
edited April 2023 in Komplete Kontrol

Hey!

New KK S25 user here... 🙂

I use a Komplete Kontrol S25 with Ableton Live. In the midi settings, the S25 is set as a Control Surface, but the Transport buttons and "navigation arrows" do not work. What could be the reason for this?

Another question, how to switch from one "instance" to another with ONE button press? 

I read in the manual that if I click on a track in Ableton, the S25 is automatically assigned to the KK on that track, but it doesn't work for me.

Thx!

Answers

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,196 Expert

You have to chose as midi in and midi out KK DAW. There are many different entries for KK there (DAW, Int, 1,…)

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,530 Expert

No, you don’t set any of the midi in or out for the kk daw port, it’s not a midi port and will cause issues, it is only set for the control surface port.

Can you post a screenshot of the midi preferences?

In regards to switching instances it should auto switch when a track is selected that has a KK instance on it and the track is armed. That should happen when you use the KK keyboard to select a track.

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,196 Expert

Well…it works for me

• Attila Horvath

I'll be home tonight, I'll take a screenshot

• Attila Horvath

I can't change tracks with the keyboard, the navigation arrows don't work. if I just click on a track, it doesn't switch automatically.

• JesterMgee
    edited April 2023

If you cannot change tracks with the keyboard that suggests the integration is not working/setup correct. Post a screenshot when you can.

It will still work but the DAW port is NOT suppose to be selected as a MIDI input for Track/remote because it is interfacing with the control buttons and issues I have seen arise over the years are rogue notes when pressing some controls, focus issues between instances (could be the OP issue) etc. The DAW port should be set as the control surface IN/Out and the MIDI In potr set for Track and Remote.

• Attila Horvath

should be the midi 1 in/outselected in the control surface Options?

• JesterMgee

WOuld need a screenshot man, can be labelled different for different systems

• JesterMgee

Example, This is the MIDI settings from my system:

Note the control surface 1 slot I have the KK script and the In/Out port is selected as the DAW port. For an MK2 keyboard this should occur automatically when you start Live but for MK1 keyboards (such as the S25) you need to first manually install the KK MK1 script yourself then select it and the correct ports.

In the MIDI section below, the DAW port (which is relabelled as the control script name) is NOT selected for Track/Remote input but the - 1 port, which is the MIDI output of the keyboard, is selected as the MIDI input.

There is no need for the "Sync" option as there is no sync signal needed to/from the keyboard

That should be about all that is needed, tho on macOS I am sure there are additional security preferences and hoops that you may need to jump through to let things work.

• Attila Horvath
    edited April 2023

I selected midi 1, 2 in / out in the control surface setting, but the transport and navigation arrows do not work, I only see it as an incoming midi signal (midi notes)

• Attila Horvath

why can't I see the "mk1" script copied into the "remote scripts" folder on the control surface in Ableton?

• Attila Horvath

I can see it after restarting.

if daw in / out is set for the MK1 script, the transport works perfectly.

In the case of vsti kk plugins, the navigation arrows do not work, in the case of au plugins, they do, but if I switch from one kk track to another kk in ableton with the navigation arrow, the s25 switches to midi mode, not to the setting in the other kk, after that I "step" back with the arrow to any kk track, the s25 stays in midi mode.

I definitely want to use vsti plugins, because I can't use the kk as a "midi processor" with the au plugin.

• JesterMgee

I can see it after restarting.

Yep, scripts and plugins are scanned on startup so any changes you make require a restart of live

if daw in / out is set for the MK1 script, the transport works perfectly.

Should do as that is how it should be setup.

In the case of vsti kk plugins, the navigation arrows do not work.

So where do the arrow keys "not work"? Are you saying if you have a KK VST plugin on a track, you cannot use the arrows to navigate between tracks, or something else?

Check your system security preferences, make sure if Live is listed in anything like "Disk Access" it is checked. Issue is as each mac OS update comes out it has the potential to just break things, especially for older hardware like the MK1 keyboard.