In Logic - S88 Keyboard. Channel buttons in Mixer view opens VST/instrument - can't disable it.

Norbz
Norbz Member Posts: 5 Newcomer
edited April 2023 in Other Software & Hardware

In short, while in Logic pro x - when I press the top buttons on the S88 to go to whatever channel while in mixer view, I do go to that channel - but it also opens up the VST/instrument I'm using on that channel. Can't turn that off it's driving me a bit nutty closing it each time I change channels.

I'm not sure if this is a Logic setting, or a Komplete/S88 setting, or an OS/mac setting :(. Any help would be appreciated. I'm on a M1 Max Mac with Ventura 13.3 and the newest Logic Pro X - 10.7.7

Thank you!

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Norbz
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓

Ok so I finally figured it out, what a mess and as expected what a quick fix :).

For others having this issue with pretty much ANY controller. From your drop downs:

LOGIC PRO / CONTROL SURFACES / CONTROLLER ASSIGNMENTS / NAVIGATION / NO MODE / PARAMETER 0 - Now on the right hand side check the 'EXCLUSIVE' box.

If you have more than one controller, you'll have to do this on all of them, you'll notice you have two/three NAVIGATION rows (as many as you have controllers, I had to do a few and was lost for a bit until I finally checked them all = voila!). Finally, plugins will no longer auto pop on channel select on any controller.

Answers

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,198 Expert
    edited April 2023

It should be a Logic setting. The function is called “Open/Close Instrument Plugin Window of Focused Track.

Check in this settings page if there is something (I don’t know if this is the exact case to uncheck, since it says “on insertion” or if there is another one, but in any case I suppose it should be in the same page, or maybe in the tracks tab…have a look)

Logic Pro > Settings > Display > Mixer (or Tracks. Or check around…)

• Norbz
    edited April 2023

I appreciate the quick response :). Unfortunately that didn't fix it, nor does any of the settings in the midi/control surfaces section there (or I don't know the settings enough). Spent most of my night on this, soo stumped. Just noticed this also happens when changing channels on my Faderport16 as well.

Thanks for trying to help, I'm sure it's going to frustrate me even more once I find how easy it was to fix lol.

• LostInFoundation

Or…I found also something else: check if you have this icon turned on

It does exactly what you describe: it opens instruments UI for selected tracks

• Norbz

Thank you again - was trying this as one of the first solutions but nope, unless it is somehow locked in step with this process through a separate setting.

It had me going in loops before, when the VST opens after I select a channel, that is also back to being ON. I unlink, then open a few of them from other channels and make sure they are also not linked, then I select a channel with the s88 and it overrides back to on and on screen, select other channels, it closes that one and brings the other one back with link on, loop/repeat.

Another thing I just noticed that might help troubleshoot, is my jogwheel does NOT do this if I click left/right on it. It even highlights the button on both the S88 and my faderport. This is OK for a few tracks but I get to dozens/50+ often so Ideally I'd love to fix this and for others that end up here with their new keys :).

• LostInFoundation

Quite strange. The fact that the Faderport also do this indicates that the “Open/Close Instrument Plugin Window of Focused Track” is clearly on. Are you sure you checked everywhere in the settings? Does it happens also when you select a track with your mouse?

• LostInFoundation

I was sure I found the answer ☺️

• Norbz
    edited April 2023

You kinda did just not fully, I do suspect the focus pop is tied to it..

• Does not happen when I select with my mouse, or my touchscreen touch.
    • In settings, under control surfaces, you can set assignments and click setup separately. The assignments is a matrix but it might be that it's conflicting w the faderport? Too many settings in there for now. The SETUP button = The same link icon is also top left in there and I've tried turning it on/off from there and restarting but nothing changed. Also unplugged the faderport but same results.
    • I also setup a command Shift+W to "Open/Close Instrument Plugin Window of Focused Track" just incase I can't figure it out. So now worst case scenario is select my channel using either device, then shortcut to close the vst, blahhhhhhhhhh.
    • Has to be fixable, maybe I'm the first person having this issue though as I can't find a spec of info elsewhere.

• EDIT:: Does not happen when I up/down on my keyboard, or on the s88 jogwheel left/right click (so cycling doesn't have the command compared to direct to channel assignments I suppose)
  • Norbz
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓

Ok so I finally figured it out, what a mess and as expected what a quick fix :).

For others having this issue with pretty much ANY controller. From your drop downs:

LOGIC PRO / CONTROL SURFACES / CONTROLLER ASSIGNMENTS / NAVIGATION / NO MODE / PARAMETER 0 - Now on the right hand side check the 'EXCLUSIVE' box.

If you have more than one controller, you'll have to do this on all of them, you'll notice you have two/three NAVIGATION rows (as many as you have controllers, I had to do a few and was lost for a bit until I finally checked them all = voila!). Finally, plugins will no longer auto pop on channel select on any controller.