Komplete Audio 6 MK2 - Monitor/cue on Ch. 3/4

2»

Answers

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 2,968 mod

The headphones outputs are hardwired to output 1/2 so you have to use 1/2 for cue and 3/4 as master. The 1/2 and 3/4 outputs are symmetrical.

• Ayenn
    Ayenn Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. I appreciate all the comments above. I still don't get it, though. I have my monitors connected to 1/2 and my headphone amplifier connected to 3/4. This is the first time I've tried to use 3/4, and realized it just doesn't work. So I connected my monitors to 3/4 just to see if that worked, and it doesn't. I realize now that 3/4 is useless. I even switched the little button from 1/2 to 3/4, and that doesn't work, which makes me wonder what is that button for. I use Logic, and changed the output on one track to 3/4 and that worked. But who has time to switch all tracks to 3/4 just so I can change from monitors to headphones? So I guess my question is: what is the purpose of 3/4? What is it actually made for?

• Uwe303

In some daws you can easily switch outputs in the master section, so that makes sense. You could connect your monitors to 1-2 and the headphones amp to the headphones out on the front (headphones is hardwired to out 1-2). The switch you've mentioned is for direct monitoring the 2 input pairs, you select yust one of them, them you can listen to them + the signal from your DAW for example.

• Uwe303

Maybe this could also be an option: https://www.dummies.com/article/technology/software/music-recording-software/logic-pro-x/how-to-set-up-multiple-monitor-mixes-in-logic-pro-x-147749/

• gormster
    gormster Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

This is absolutely unbelievable.

It's like the people designing this hardware have never even talked to someone who makes music, let alone makes it themselves.

The number of times I need to monitor inputs 3 and 4? I don't recall it even happening once. When I need a different mix for my headphones compared to the main outputs? ALL THE TIME. Virtually every time I've got headphones and speakers connected, I want different mixes on them. It would have made more sense to hardware the headphone outs to 3/4. What would have actually been good and what your users would actually want would be to allow each headphone output to select between 1/2, 3/4, or 5/6. This is, after all, an interface with six outputs. The added complexity for this is virtually none; the added utility is immeasurable.

This wouldn't be such a big deal if you hadn't also included a HUGE KNOB on the top that only controls the output level of 1/2. That is also hardwired. Really useful for plugging in powered monitors that maybe don't have a volume control (like mine). Only I can't, because apparently you're expecting my main outs to be on 3/4… so what's the point of the knob? Is 1/2 the main output, or is it the monitor mix?

Again, it's like NI have literally no idea how their products are used in real life. Did any thought go into this product beyond the industrial design? It's very attractive, good build quality, the preamps aren't half bad. But it's so badly hamstrung by something that would have been so, so simple to fix.

BUT WAIT, IT GETS WORSE

THIS FEATURE WAS REMOVED FOR THE MK2.

That's right, the Komplete Audio 6 Mk1 had the option to monitor 3/4 on the headphones.

Why, why, why would you change this? Especially keeping the 1/2-3/4 switch on the front seems like a deliberate act of deception. You made this product worse on purpose; to what end, I can't imagine. It can't be cheaper to manufacture, I simply refuse to believe that.

Honestly, it's convinced me to never buy any NI gear again for the rest of my life. It's such an obviously duplicitous move that it shows real malice on the part of the corporation.