Where should I be pointing plug-ins and library locations to?

Chong
Chong Member Posts: 65 Member

In the KOMPLETE KONTROL Preferences window, where should I be pointing/adding the Library-->User Location and the Plug-ins --> Locations -> Plug-in to?

However, I under my MacBook Pro's hard drive, NA also put some in here: Users/userName/Documents/Native Instruments

But all of my NI instruments are located in my external drive.

The Content Location setting in NA is set to my external drive.

So, are my setting above correct? And if so, what should I be adding/pointing if any locations in the Komplete Kontrol preferences window?

Thank you so much!

Best Answer

• Kymeia
    Kymeia Member Posts: 3,612 Expert
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓

Not a good idea, keep plugins in the system locations - especially on Mac

/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins

Things like large sample libraries can go on an external drive (as long as Kontakt, Native Access, Komplete Kontrol etc know where you have put them - you set that in Native Access) but putting plugin there can cause problems

Answers

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 2,966 mod

Hello,

normally it all should work automatically, do you miss any stuff or why you want to set your own folders?

• Kymeia

This isn't where the plugins go, it's where their user presets go

• Kymeia
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓

Not a good idea, keep plugins in the system locations - especially on Mac

/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins

Things like large sample libraries can go on an external drive (as long as Kontakt, Native Access, Komplete Kontrol etc know where you have put them - you set that in Native Access) but putting plugin there can cause problems

• Chong

@Kymeia , thank you for the tip. It certainly make sense! I'll see how large the Ableton's plugins are. If it's not that big, I can put it in my local Mac hard drive.

• Chong

This location is when I ran the installation from within NA. I didn't put it here. NA automatically puts it here.

I'm not sure what you mean by "user presets" but yes, this is under my user name. So what sort of things go here then?

• Chong

@Uwe303, I'm just checking if my configuration is correct or not because this is what it shows after I reinstall NI's apps, instruments, and libraries from within NA. Yes, it should work automatically but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything because I found those other locations and I wasn't sure. As for the Ableton's plugins, yes, I chose to put on my external drive but as for the NI stuff, it's all done from within NA.

• Kymeia

Yes it will do, that is correct. This is where if you save a preset of your own for say Massive, it will go in the Massive folder under Sounds

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 2,966 mod

Ahh ok then, as far as I can see everything is correct. Maybe only the VST folder thing Kymeia mantioned is a thing you should change.