My Native Access is at 1.14.1 (R156). When will I get NA Version 2?

BIF
BIF Member Posts: 491 Pro
edited April 2023 in Native Access

I've been waiting patiently for what seems like years. I'm having troubles with some instrument updates not seeming to "stick". For example, North India (just "India" in NA) keeps showing me the same 68 MB update for months now, no matter how often I install it or "Install All".

Before I try to debug anything, I probably should get the new NA, right?

I'm on Windows 10.

Thanks in advance.

Best Answer

• NativeAmerican
    NativeAmerican Member Posts: 43 Member
    Answer ✓

If you want to get Native Access 2 there is a link to download it from their website. I don't think it is available as just an update, pretty sure you download it and then it installs the second version. I am using Native Access 1 right now, because I was having issues a few months back with NA 2. I think I had to find NA 1 in the archives though.

Answers

• NativeAmerican
    NativeAmerican Member Posts: 43 Member
    Answer ✓

If you want to get Native Access 2 there is a link to download it from their website. I don't think it is available as just an update, pretty sure you download it and then it installs the second version. I am using Native Access 1 right now, because I was having issues a few months back with NA 2. I think I had to find NA 1 in the archives though.

• BIF

So maybe I should wait and not poke at the sleeping bear? 😉

• Monochrome
    Monochrome Member Posts: 1,113 Expert
    edited April 2023

There will be a moment in the future where Native Access 1 users will get automatically updated to Native Access 2. It's just not known so far as to when that will happen exactly.

But, even now you may be missing out on newer product updates: NA1 seems to not show new updates for some products to some users (myself formerly included), whereas NA2 does:

So, better update to NA2.

• oranges
    oranges Member Posts: 20 Member

yes - despite NI claiming that NA1 is still receiving updates AND that they haven't heard any reports of people not getting updates on NA1 it's 100% confirmed by lots and lots of people that you MUST update to NA2 if you want updates.

Welcome to the world of a very buggy and resource hungry - NA2

such a shame as NA1 was working great a couple of weeks ago.

• BIF

Thank you all for the replies. I will install NA2 in the next few days.

Now a forum-related question: As the "question asker", shouldn't I be the one to choose the "Best Answer"? There is a "Best Answer" flagged in this thread, but I was not the one who chose it. I don't want anybody taking my agency away from me.

• Monochrome
    Monochrome Member Posts: 1,113 Expert

Apart from you, NI staff (and moderators?) can also mark replies as "(Best) Answer".

• BIF

So the problem STILL occurs on NA 2.

Updates to instruments do not get removed from the updates page after the update has been successfully downloading and installing said update.

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 850 Guru
    edited April 2023

Not seeing that here (on Windows 10 Pro 22H2).

When an update arrives and installs - the reference on the updates page instantly disappears.

I remember seeing this just once over a month ago - if it does not disappear for you - hit the Refresh icon and that should force it to disappear.

VP

• BIF

This is interesting. I'm running Windows 10, 21H2, not 22H2 as you are. But Windows 10 is not queued up in my updates screen...instead, Windows 11 22H2 is what would install if I told it to go ahead. I built this PC last summer, so it's definitely ready for Windows 11, but the operator isn't; he's an old dog who needs time to learn new tricks; lol!

But having said that, I doubt that the maintenance version of windows is what's preventing my updates from disappearing off my screen in Native Access.

Refreshing didn't cause them to be removed either; not under NA1 nor under NA2

• Ed M
    Ed M Member Posts: 144 Advisor

I'm not using Windows, but I reckon the "mechanics" begin it work the same on every OS: in order to get the latest update on any instrument, you need to click the refresh button in the top right corner. Up until 2 or 3 NA updates ago, this wasn't needed, now it is.

I hope this helps.

• Vocalpoint

Not sure what else you can check but I can confirm that this did happen to me once or twice about 6 weeks ago and then not again.

I also updated my installed versions of all my Visual C++ Redistributable libraries recently as well and this did seem to smooth NA2 out (in what way I do not know).

FWIW: Windows 10 22H2 was NOT a huge feature update that rides in the same space where Win 11 is queued up on your Windows Update dialog.

22H2 was what was called an "enablement" package and can be found here:

KB5015684: Featured update to Windows 10, version 22H2 by using an enablement package - Microsoft Support

You can install this at anytime and I would recommend it for any Windows 10 user especially in your case as Win 10 21H2 hits end of life on June 13, 2023.

Cheers!

VP

• BIF

I am actually thinking of upgrading this machine to Windows 11. I just need a weekend or a couple of days when I could take backups and (if something horrible were to go wrong), I could restore from the backups.

But maybe doing the enablement package update would be safer. I do get the concept of the enablement package. It fills a lot of people with suspicion and dread, but I don't know how Microsoft could be expected to roll out major new updates and new features too, if this methodology were not available to them.

Anyway, I'm going to think on this, and will probably start a new thread once I decide which direction to head off in.

It does frustrate me that I can't look up NI "expansions" in Windows. Monark, for example, doesn't show up in Programs and Features. So I can see what Native Access says is the update/version/release number of the one it wants me to apply...but I cannot see what Windows thinks is already installed. I can see it for the apps, such as Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, and so on, but not for the expansions that run inside of those apps.

But everything, at least on the surface, SEEMS to be working. So for now, I'm going to call it "good" and will see if I'm going to be able to get on with my life for a few minutes, at least. 😎

Thank you all for your input. I vote everybody here as "answered". Green checkboxes for all!

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,194 Expert

Check if in the folder you selected in NA for Downloads some corrupted file are still present. It shouldn’t be related, but some times ago I had this happening and it gave me strange problems

• Vocalpoint

BIF

For what it's worth - this 22H2 package is literally maybe 150MB is size and simply "enables" a few super minor features in Win 10. What it is not is a package of dread like the giant GB sized "feature" updates of the past.

I will be surprised if this update takes longer than approx a minute to install and off you go.

I too am thinking Win 11 but not for DAW work at this point - it is still not stable enough OR mature enough when compared to a well tuned Windows 10 Pro build.

On the "expansions" comment - I can relate AND Agree. Monark is not an expansion nor is it an executable either - it's a Reaktor based instrument and that is in a category by itself. Would be nice to get some sort of install detail on this stuff from time to time.

Cheers!

VP

• BIF
    edited April 2023

To VP: I like your thoughts on Windows 10, but at this point, I don't know how to "cancel" the pending Windows 11 upgrade on this machine AND get Windows 10 to start updating again.

Thanks for your clarification on Monark being an instrument. Yes, that's correct, and I pretty much just think of things as "App" or "everything else"; the former being anything that behaves like a traditional application, including being able to be uninstalled via Windows Programs, and with latter being anything that won't show up in the Windows Programs list.

To LIF: Yeah, I thought about that. But this is not happening to just 1 or 2 products; the behavior is present for 20 products, including Balinese Gamelan (very old), Cuba, Monark, Prism, Pulswerk, Reaktor Factory Selection R2 (but not Reaktor itself), Symphony Essentials String Ensemble (not really old), and pretty much every one of the Scarbee bass instruments. The only thing common here is that each of these instruments that are "stuck for update" are all NI products included with Komplete, and that there are no 3rd party products in this list. And I have extensive libraries from SonicCoutoure, Cinesamples, Vir2, Big Fish, and more.

Have tried deleting and re-downloading Monark and Prism, and the behavior does not change; they stay present on the updates page.