Creating instruments in Kontakt

Darcy101
Darcy101 Member Posts: 12 Member

I have created single instruments in Kontakt for certain projects but now I'm working on a larger project where I will be building a product with a lot of instruments. I have the UI already done and hooked up to all the various effects etc and now it's coming to crunch time where I'm starting to insert all my different instrument samples. The question is would it be wise to save each instrument separately as a nki file so the user can select instruments from predefined folders or do you think that it would be better to have some kind of preset browser built into the UI? One of the reasons I ask this is some of the instruments are quite big in file size on their own and I will be manipulating some of the instruments once they are loaded to create snapshots for prests to that instrument will this be acceptable to go down this route?

Tagged:

Best Answers

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,195 Expert
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓

It would be wise in my opinion. Specially if you are interested in using the instruments singularly, or to still have the possibility to send them to different fxs depending on the needs of a determined project

• LostInFoundation
    Answer ✓

And also…once created singularly, wouldn’t it be easy to add them to an ensemble?

• stephen24
    stephen24 Member Posts: 276 Pro
    Answer ✓

Absolutely agree with LiF - there seems to have been a number of problems (DAW malfunctions, Kontakt upgrades etc) which would have been lessened or avoided if individual nkis/nkms had been saved. Patch Only is quick and takes up little space. I would always save any newly built or heavily edited nki seperately from the project as a matter of course.

(I suspect that by ensemble he just means adding several instruments in one Kontakt instance as a multi)

Answers

• LostInFoundation
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓

It would be wise in my opinion. Specially if you are interested in using the instruments singularly, or to still have the possibility to send them to different fxs depending on the needs of a determined project

• LostInFoundation
    Answer ✓

And also…once created singularly, wouldn’t it be easy to add them to an ensemble?

• Darcy101

Thank you for your replay LIF

Sorry, I'm a bit wet behind the ears how would I do that and what does it take to achieve this?

• stephen24
    stephen24 Member Posts: 276 Pro
    Answer ✓

Absolutely agree with LiF - there seems to have been a number of problems (DAW malfunctions, Kontakt upgrades etc) which would have been lessened or avoided if individual nkis/nkms had been saved. Patch Only is quick and takes up little space. I would always save any newly built or heavily edited nki seperately from the project as a matter of course.

(I suspect that by ensemble he just means adding several instruments in one Kontakt instance as a multi)

• Darcy101

Hi Stephen thanks for the reply

I had a gut feeling that separate nki's would be better as I have the first version of Damage by Heavyocity and that is what they did, all instruments were in predefined folders in the left-hand browser and you just loaded them as you needed them it was easy and less CPU intensive. I just want to say thank you to everyone who replied as now I feel more confident that I'm now on the right track. Cheers guys.