How do I merge scenes from different MK3 tracks on Maschine JAM to make a live DJ set?

Stationed_Observer
Stationed_Observer Member Posts: 6 Member
edited April 2023 in Maschine

Hey there folks hope all's well. I'm new to this forum but I've been writing tracks on the MK3 for just over 3 years now. As I'm feeling more confident with my writing skills, I decided to purchase a Maschine JAM in the hopes to do some live sets. I've written approximately 26/27 tracks, each ranging from anywhere between 3 to 8 minutes long. I have enough material now to make a few variations of live sets that should last an hour or 2 long each if I cut it all up nicely, but this is where I'm hitting a wall. I would really like to start compiling all my scenes from different tracks into one big mix. Whenever I try to type this question out in various ways on google, all's I get is beginner videos on how to use the sequencer, sliders, master group volumes etc. I can't figure out how to locate different scenes from different tracks on MK3 so that I can use the Jam to mix my songs. I can load 1 track to it by simply loading a song from 'file/open' etc, but I can't locate and load individual scenes from tracks into separate scene banks on JAM. Hope this makes sense. Any help would be most appreciated cheers! :)

Chris.

Best Answers

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,198 Expert
    Answer ✓

I’m afraid this is not such an easy thing to do. Give me a couple of minutes to try something and I’ll report you back

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓

Is the Jam + MK3 the only devices you plan on using for your sets?

I can't figure out how to locate different scenes from different tracks on MK3 so that I can use the Jam to mix my songs.\

What do you mean? A Scene is a whole bunch of stuff, Sounds, Groups, MIDI, instruments, really anything... You can't just load/save them and reuse them across projects. Even if you could loading all that 27 times into a single project would most likely melt your computer.

You could export your Scenes as 'stems', chunks of audio loops to make a live performable version of your tracks, and try to consolidate them all on a new project... and basically trigger them as loops but Maschine isn't designed for this, so there will be issues to overcome as for example using different BPM's.

Since you're on Mac there's also the approach of duplicating the Maschine.app, load a project in each then switch the focus from HW, and after you switched load the next song in the other app, it takes some juggling of loading the projects tho...

• LostInFoundation

Ok. I checked a couple of things. What D-One says it’s correct: you can’t use Scenes from different Projects together (even because the projects could involve different instruments/groups).

The only solution would be creating a new project that contains ALL the groups, instruments, samples and effects you need for ALL the songs and then copy (maybe with the drag and drop) ALL the midi from the various patterns and the audio into the new amongous project in the right place. Quite a titanic quest, if you ask me

• D-One

No prob, on the mk3 shift+plug will allow you to switch focus from one app to the other, on the Jam I am not sure how that's done since I never owned one.

Oh I forgot: you also have the option of having a bunch of Maschine-Plugin Instances, each loaded with it's own project in a single DAW project and switch between them the same way as above, this, however, introduces different challenges to overcome... And of course your computer has to be able to handle a ton of Maschine Plugins with full projects inside, or only have 2 and handle the loading manually.

Answers

• LostInFoundation
    Answer ✓

I’m afraid this is not such an easy thing to do. Give me a couple of minutes to try something and I’ll report you back

• Stationed_Observer
    edited April 2023

@LostInFoundation Thank you so much. I had a bad feeling this might be the case haha, but cheers for checking none the less!

• D-One

Is the Jam + MK3 the only devices you plan on using for your sets?

I can't figure out how to locate different scenes from different tracks on MK3 so that I can use the Jam to mix my songs.\

What do you mean? A Scene is a whole bunch of stuff, Sounds, Groups, MIDI, instruments, really anything... You can't just load/save them and reuse them across projects. Even if you could loading all that 27 times into a single project would most likely melt your computer.

You could export your Scenes as 'stems', chunks of audio loops to make a live performable version of your tracks, and try to consolidate them all on a new project... and basically trigger them as loops but Maschine isn't designed for this, so there will be issues to overcome as for example using different BPM's.

Since you're on Mac there's also the approach of duplicating the Maschine.app, load a project in each then switch the focus from HW, and after you switched load the next song in the other app, it takes some juggling of loading the projects tho...

• LostInFoundation

Ok. I checked a couple of things. What D-One says it’s correct: you can’t use Scenes from different Projects together (even because the projects could involve different instruments/groups).

The only solution would be creating a new project that contains ALL the groups, instruments, samples and effects you need for ALL the songs and then copy (maybe with the drag and drop) ALL the midi from the various patterns and the audio into the new amongous project in the right place. Quite a titanic quest, if you ask me

• Stationed_Observer

@D-One That's a fair point i.e. Scenes, variations, groups etc. There's a lot to go by. Deffo makes sense to find the compatible parts bpm wise. The duplicate Machine.app thing is really lighting bulbs in my head and could be the answer. Still a technophobe at large so I didn't know I could do that, thank you! I'll try figure that out haha.

• D-One

No prob, on the mk3 shift+plug will allow you to switch focus from one app to the other, on the Jam I am not sure how that's done since I never owned one.

Oh I forgot: you also have the option of having a bunch of Maschine-Plugin Instances, each loaded with it's own project in a single DAW project and switch between them the same way as above, this, however, introduces different challenges to overcome... And of course your computer has to be able to handle a ton of Maschine Plugins with full projects inside, or only have 2 and handle the loading manually.

• LostInFoundation

I think the Jam can’t switch like this, but I suspect that it will follow the instance focus of the MK3…if you are lucky 😉

• LostInFoundation
    edited April 2023

I would tag only one answer or 2 as “accepted” and in my opinion it would be the one from D-One…otherwise other users could get confused. Unless you think the answers you tagged all contain a piece of the puzzle.

‘And I’m suggesting this against my interest 😂😂😂

• Stationed_Observer
    edited April 2023

@LostInFoundation Ah right I guess that makes sense. Yeah I just did it as a thank you nod basically as I found bits of each to be helpful. The more I learn about these gadgets the more I realise there are so many variables of doing things to get a similar result. It's a bit crackers haha

• LostInFoundation
    edited April 2023

You can put a like or an insightful as a thank you if you want. But I don’t think my

“I’m afraid this is not such an easy thing to do. Give me a couple of minutes to try something and I’ll report you back”

can be qualified as a solution 😂😂😂

Maybe the other one with a suggestion on how to create the Humongous Project yes, but the “give me a couple of minutes” one definitely not 😂😂😂

• Stationed_Observer

@LostInFoundation I am the king of doing weird with technology. Much like a child. Press all the buttons and hope for the best haha 😂

• Schmapps1
    Schmapps1 Member Posts: 133 Pro
    edited April 2023

This has been a source of frustration to me as well. There is no real easy way to perform an entire live set on Maschine. Eventually, I realized the only way is to have everything contained in one big project, with like hundreds of sequential scenes, but the only way to really do that is to build it that way from the beginning.

I am currently in the process of trying to do just that. One good thing is, it’s really not that bad on the cpu because you can use send fx and/or one “effects group” to route things through, to save on processing power. You won’t be able to run a ton of cpu-intensive things like Kontakt instruments but you can convert those things to samples as you go, once you are happy with it.

• LostInFoundation

i hope that Putin with is nuclear briefcase is not taking your approach 😂😂😂

• 6xes
    6xes Member Posts: 630 Pro
    edited April 2023

using maschine as a plugin inside of a Daw... you can achieve this in the Reaper Daw...

the trickiest part to implement... is arranging everything to trigger when you want them to come in.

although i have not done this with "scenes" using the midi change function in maschine(setting a midi note to trigger either scenes or patterns)

some of the reaper options you would implement is

maschine plugin on separate tracks armed&ready to receive incoming midi triggers from midi items

1. SWS region playlist (for ordered arrangement)

2 create a midi item so a trigger message is sent at the start of each region change(midi note/channel) can activate the "midi change" function to trigger the maschine plugin scene/pattern changes

alternatively... if you are more inclined to switch patterns&scenes manually.. you would use the reaperVST(only) called realearn and create a midi mapping... to accomadate midi change triggers

this is how i do things... with my maschine jam(midi mode)

so as an example...

if you have 4 maschine songs loaded each having their own track, and each song having 16 scenes to choose from

you could change any of those 4 maschine song scenes to change as and when required on 1 single maschine jam bank(midi mode) as you would assign 16 buttons for each track(song) to trigger the scenes.

(16buttons per track&plugin asssigned to their respective note/channel)

as a side note... you are not limited to 4 songs if your computer was able to handle 16 songs running simultaneously you could do upto 16 songs if needed and chane their scenes individually... but practically speaking... you would not run more than 4 songs... as the overlapping of songs&frequencies would become a saturated mess

there are other methods you could use... to have songs on standby or playing based on their VST position on the Chain, what i mean by this.. is you can have let say 3 maschine instances on a single track and all playing..however you can only affect the midi-change triggers based upon the maschine VST being the 1st in the chain(at which point you would create a custom action & put the desired maschine instance at the top)

The Maschine Jam device(midi-mode) in Reaper becomes a very versatile device in reaper especially with the Realearn VST

• LostInFoundation

If you add a DAW (any DAW) of course it will be doable. Studio One also have a Show Page that makes this very easy and very accessible.

But this wasn’t the OP question