Maschine MK3 - Audio Input as a VST

Foldyman
Foldyman Member Posts: 39 Member
edited February 2022 in Maschine

Hi,

I've got a Maschine Mk3 on the way, if only becuase I couldn't quite work out if I like it or not!

When using the Maschine as a VST in Reaper, it looks like you can map all 16 outputs as audio (just like I can with my software only VSTs, like SSD drums for example).

What I can't quite work out though, is if Maschine's ability to do this is dependent on it being setup as an ASIO audio interface. I already have one ASIO interface, and still need it more so than I do discrete channels that I might (hopefully) get from the Maschine.

Can I use my existing ASIO interface and still have seperate audio channels from the machine per track? Or would I need to just continue using my exisiting ASIO interface with the Maschine's main L/R outputs as an input to that?

I don't want to get into using ASIO4ALL or anything along those lines, and I'm not using a Mac so can't aggregate interfaces.

Cheers,

A

Tagged:

Comments

• darkwaves
    darkwaves Member Posts: 336 Guru
    edited February 2022

is if Maschine's ability to do this is dependent on it being setup as an ASIO audio interface

no.

Can I use my existing ASIO interface and still have seperate audio channels from the machine per track? Or would I need to just continue using my exisiting ASIO interface with the Maschine's main L/R outputs as an input to that?

You just don't use the physical outputs of maschine. Use your interface and ignore the interface built into the mk3.

• Foldyman

@darkwaves thanks, exactly what I'd hoped!

• Foldyman

Thanks again @darkwaves ...

... so just to confirm how this would be set up and works...

• Hook the Maschine up via USB to my PC.
    • In Maschine software, set the audio output to my existing Interface.
    • Install the VST into my DAW (Reaper), not sure how to do this bit but still.
    • Load the VST onto a channel in the DAW, at which point (I think) I'll be asked if I want to map 16 channels of Maschine audio.
    • Then the VST works like a separate sub arrangement that lines up with your overall DAW arrangement, so tempo, time sig and position line up.
    • I could still play machine sounds independently of the Maschine arrangement via a MIDI channel in my DAW.
    • I can also get various Maschine hardware controls to do various DAW functions (i.e. scroll wheel to move transport etc.)

Is that what it is or am I just not getting it?

Cheers!

A

• darkwaves
    darkwaves Member Posts: 336 Guru

In maschine software, set the audio output

You don't really need to do that if using it as a VST. Whatever you set in the software in standalone mode doesn't apply when using it as a VST.

I don't use reaper. I have it installed, but it's just a bit too geeky for me to understand. Within Cubase, you'd just enable the extra outputs of the software and route however you want.

You can get use the maschine hardware to control some functions of your DAW while using the VST; but it's somewhat limited in comparison to midi mode. But midi mode is limited if you actually want to control maschine. I never bother trying to use maschine as a control surface for my daw; but that's just me.

• Foldyman

Thanks @darkwaves!

• Kaiwan_NI
    Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,523 admin

Closing this post since it's a duplicate. The solution can be fond in this post here: Maschine MK3 Setup with Another Interface

This discussion has been closed.