Can't update NI apps after removing "junk" files

Taven_mk
Taven_mk Member Posts: 7 Member
edited April 2023 in Native Access

Hello, i am using Win 10, and after removing junk files by one of the famous Windows utility apps, i can not update the Native Apps. Can you help?

Everytime i want to update an app, i have to uninstall manually than install it again.😔

Best Answer

Answers

• Sunborn
    Sunborn Member Posts: 2,241 Expert

Not all "junk" files are really junk. Some software doing amazing work on this, while others are rubbish.

Personally I suggest CCleaner or Auslogics Boost Speed or Yamisoft Windows Manager.

However keep in mind this: No matter what software you are using, do NOT enable "advanced settings" unless you are an expert, or you have the patience to check the results one by one!

In your case i bet the problem is registry related, usually Installer file associations or uninstall strings. Or, you have the bad habit to manually delete some hidden folders, related to Native Instuments, from your ProgramData...

Well... in any case, best is to do NOT remove any of the above. :-)

• Taven_mk

Thanks for the answer. But how can i revert this situation. I uninstalled "Native Access" and reinstalled but no effect at all. I can not update my Native Instruments apps via Native Access...

• Sunborn
    edited April 2023

It has nothing to do with Native Access itself but with the individual programs, in your case with Massive. It's uninstaller is missing (or at least its relative information from the registry), so Native Access can not find it, so it can not uninstall the program! If can not uninstall the program first, it can not update to a newer version (which in my opinion is really silly, however things are like that).

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,299 mod
    edited April 2023

@Taven_mk What version of Native Access are you using?

We don't recommend the use of registry cleaners as they can cause severe issues, please read this article: Notes on Using Registry or Property List Cleaning Utilities

To fix updates with Native Access you can also try this: Fixing Software Update Installation Issues (Windows)

• Taven_mk

I use the 3.3.0 version. I understand. But is there any suggestion on solution without reinstalling operating system?

• Sunborn
    edited April 2023

Do NOT reinstall operating system for such a small matter! There is no point. @Jeremy_NI already gave you the solution on his second link but i assume you ignored it and you read only the first link.

So, here it is, again:

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The NI Uninstall RegTool can fix issues with update installations or reinstalls. Follow these steps:

1. Download the file NI Uninstall RegTool_64bit.zip attached at the bottom of this article, move it to your desktop and unzip it.
    2. Right-click the extracted file NI Uninstall RegTool_64bit.exe and choose Run as administrator:
    1. If a User Account Control window pops up, confirm with Yes.
    2. Select the product that is causing issues, e.g. The Giant and click Remove selected product:
    1. Confirm with OK to start the process.

Now you can start the installation of the NI product again.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

It is really, really simple! 5 minutes work (just few clicks for you!) instead of the gigantic (and pointless) task to reinstall Windows and all your programs.

• Taven_mk

Firstly, I did not ignore the solution. I already know this. And i use it for months and i am now done with this same process doing over and over. It doesn't fix anything. Just fixes for one time only. So update mechanism on Native Access is broken. It is not a small matter for me. Thx for advice.

• Sunborn

Ok, so you mean that you already did the fixing with the NI Uninstall RegTool, but it only worked once? ...and on every update you have the same problem?

• Sunborn

Either way, the NI support team is far more qualify to answer to your problem, but it seems to me that:

Problem occurred, you fix it with the NI tool, then problem appeared again after a while? Why? Obviously because you continue to delete important registry values with those Windows cleaning utilities! I can't see any other reason.

So, my advice is, after you fix your problem, next time you want to use again those utilities, make sure that you add to their exclude list, all the below registry values:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Native Instruments

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Native Instruments

Good luck :-)

• Taven_mk
    edited April 2023

No, not that way. Let me explain. I used junk remover only once. Than update issues occured. I didn't use it again.

Whenever there is an update i use NI fix tool to uninstall the app than install it via NI Access.

So, using NI Uninstall Regtool doesn't fix the issue.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,299 mod

@Taven_mk Then you should get in touch with our support agents here: ttp://bit.ly/NIsupport_install

• chk071
    chk071 Member Posts: 356 Pro
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓

That's why you shouldn't use those "famous" system cleaners. Everything they do, you can do manually in Windows, and 99% of the things they do are unnecessary, because it doesn't gain you any speed or "tidy" advantage, but in the worst case, like yours, will rather break things.

I'd really advice not to use such tools, if you want a functioning OS.

• Taven_mk

How about uninstalling entire elements of NI (Including registry entries) then reinstalling them?

I tried it once (uninstalling whole NI programs) but didn't remove registry entries... It did not worked.