Is it safe to remove folders in Application Support created by previous versions of Kontakt?

PPLGuy
PPLGuy Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

I have folders in my Application Support folder left over from several previous versions of Kontakt. All together, they add up to about 2 gigabytes. Does the current version of Kontakt require these? Will I lose access to some instruments if I delete them to open up more space?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,265 Expert
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓

Are the instruments these folders are related to still installed in your computer? Because even if the Kontakt “wrapper” has changed of version, the instruments it gives access to are still the same

Answers

• LostInFoundation
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓

Are the instruments these folders are related to still installed in your computer? Because even if the Kontakt “wrapper” has changed of version, the instruments it gives access to are still the same

• PPLGuy
    PPLGuy Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

Looking through the folders, it seems they all have the same folder structure—the same sub-folders appear in each one. And, rummaging through the sub-folder contents, it looks as if there is little or no duplication of files.

So my guess is that Native Access leaves content that hasn't changed untouched, and installs new and updated content to the latest folder. That would save some steps in installation, and Kontakt has access to all the content in all the sub-folders.

At any rate, I think it would be unwise to mess with them just to save 1 or 2 gigabytes on a 1 terabyte drive.

If at some point I'm desperate for more room, it would be easier and safer to use Native Access to uninstall products I don't need.

• LostInFoundation

When and if you want to uninstall products, be aware that atm you can’t do it from NA (it’s in the features roadmap, but not yet announced when). You’ll have to do it with the Windows applications manager (or its counterpart in Mac)