Is there a way to modify input pitches to simulate 'drop tuning' in Guitar Rig 6?

IanL
IanL Member Posts: 5 Member

I play bass and use Guitar Rig 6 for practice and playing around with different sounds. Most songs I play require standard E-A-D-G tuning, but some require alternative tuning. Rather than manually change the tuning each time I play certain songs, is there a way that I can set up GR6 so that it transposes the input?

I'm thinking not, except in the case of a consistent transposition of a set number of semitones for every note irrespective of string, since GR6 has no way of identifying which string has been plucked, but thought I'd ask the question anyway to see if anyone has any creative solutions or alternative suggestions (other than to change the pitch of each string by physically retuning the bass!)

Thanks in advance.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,252 Expert
    Answer ✓

So…what you want is to play a real bass and having GR6 transpose the strings tuning? I don’t think it’s doable

Answers

• LostInFoundation
    Answer ✓

So…what you want is to play a real bass and having GR6 transpose the strings tuning? I don’t think it’s doable

• IanL

Thank you @LostInFoundation , that's the answer I was pretty much expecting (and the one I was secretly hoping for). I should buy a new bass so I can keep one at the most awkward drop tuning and one at standard! 😉

• Gee_Flat
    Gee_Flat Member Posts: 906 Guru
    edited April 2023

It's not a far fetched idea although I think the result might be less than pleasing.

But if you think about it, any tuner can detect the frequency or the pitch of the string you're plucking. So software could say if the pitch is A 440 then convert it to whatever.

That is basically what auto tune does, isn't it?

• Wouter De Muynck
    Wouter De Muynck Member Posts: 217 Pro

You can consider a Hipshot Bass Extender, which can be used to detune a single string in 2 different modes via a added handle. Depending on the headstock you can consider an extender on every string, but you need to investigate because the actual tuner slightly rotates. On the other hand, when you should invest in a few bass extenders, you can also buy a new bass, which is always a good idea 😌

• Eddie_NI
    Eddie_NI Product Team Posts: 357 mod
    edited April 2023

You could use the "Pitch Pedal" for transposing all strings. Put it as the first effect in the rack, set the Mix on it to 100% and the Max and Min values to the value you want to detune to. For example to tune done one whole step set both to -2.

Individual strings can't be transposed by Guitar Rig, sorry.

• LostInFoundation

Nice suggestions here ☝🏼

• IanL
    edited April 2023

Thanks @Gee_Flat for your thoughts. This is what I started off thinking too, but then I got stuck! If you want to drop the E to D (and no change to the other three strings) you could pluck this string at the 5th fret (ordinarily A, but now G) and the frequency of this would be the same as the open A string... You would have the same input frequency, but ideally want a different output depending upon which string was plucked.

That led me to consider it would be okay, but only if you drop the input of each string by the same number of semitones and this could be achieved by @Eddie_NI's suggestion of using the Pitch Pedal at the start of the rack.@Wouter De Muynck

I like @Wouter De Muynck's suggestion of the Hipshot Bass Extenders (but not as much as the thought of justifying another bass purchase!)

• Gee_Flat
    Gee_Flat Member Posts: 906 Guru
    edited April 2023

I was just presenting a hypothetical. It's definitely more complicated than I explained, obviously.

I'd just tune my guitar 😀 except I don't record them that much. I like using software alternatives to come up with ideas I would never play on a guitar.

And no, not software that plays chords and patterns. 😏

I actually gave my brother my bass, cause I use Scarbee most of the time.

• Wouter De Muynck
    Wouter De Muynck Member Posts: 217 Pro

if you have a few dollars/euro’s on the side, you can consider a Zon Hyperbass which has a Bass Extender on all strings and a 3 octave range 😌 http://www.zonguitars.com/zonguitars/hyperbass.html

• IanL

Wow, nice! Clearly extends the playing range without having to regularly retune for different pieces. Whilst I can justify that level of spending on a new bass, I'm not sure my significant other will agree 😪

• jhbennett45
    jhbennett45 Member Posts: 4 Member

Studio solution:

Guitar Rig 6 could be used to create a nice clean signal, then use Melodyne to find all the low E's and fix them down to D.

Take the wave file and put it back through GR6 with all the overdrive you desire!

Obviously not a crowd pleaser if you want it in a performance!