Favourite DAW with NI

Comments

• Cristian
    Cristian Member Posts: 5 Member

LUNA here!

• Kozmyk
    Kozmyk Member Posts: 2 Member

I use three main DAWs.

#1 Studio One, #2 Bitwig, and #3 Reaper, plus one gathering dust (Live 10).

I've not experienced any Real difficulty from using NI software with any of them, only the lack of Scalable UIs, a general NI problem.

• Gee_Flat
    Gee_Flat Member Posts: 906 Guru

Yes, two guys from Steinberg( Juwan and Kundris), but currently Juwan. He is now the CEO of Studio One and the original devoloper of the VST3 specification for Steinberg. The Studio One logo originated from software called Krystal Audio Engine, which in a sense became Studio One.

That's why Cubase still rules ๐Ÿ˜Ž. Studio One is very good, but after reading the OP I checked out FL Studio an it looks pretty impressive.

Great presentation and intro video.

• Tulio Guilherme Grunwald
    Tulio Guilherme Grunwald Member Posts: 14 Member

Once you get to know about REAPER wokflow and infinite possibilities of customization, there's no DAW like it!

• Chris Cowan
    Chris Cowan Member Posts: 7 Member

So, I have Studio One, Reaper and Logic. With the first two on both WIndows and my MBP.

However, I am a life long Cakewalk user. I was distraught when Gibson abandoned the product. (Which is why I bought Studio One as a cross-grade).

Bandlab however, came to the rescue. and I still prefer Cakewalk by Bandlab (CbB).

I will say that it wasn't until I started subscribing to the Creative Sauce channel on You Tube, that I realized how to use CbB effectively with Kontakt in a multi-intrument rack. Mike Enjo is fantastic teacher, and shows you how template everything, so you immediately hit the ground running. (He has also covered Studio One, but it's obvious that he prefers CbB).

I have a Gen 2 Maschine Mikro, but no NI controller. (I'm a piano/keys player and very picky about "action" and the way the keybed feels).

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,198 Expert
    edited April 2023

Wellโ€ฆI use Ableton Live, Studio One, Cubase and Bitwig Studio. I also have ProTools Intro installed but I donโ€™t like it. And I donโ€™t think at all to be the only one using multiple DAWs depending on the task I want to accomplish.

And โ€œAny DAW that works with NI is the same goodโ€ is not correct at all. Try mapping Maschine with Studio One or Ableton and then try to do the same in Cubase or ProTools and youโ€™ll tell me.

So saying โ€œthere is no person who uses them allโ€ could also be correct, but people that can compare some of them exist, believe me . John Pennington, just_jump, ProfessorChaos and me is already 4 ๐Ÿ˜‰. And all the people who commented after with many DAWs are even more

BTW: the Title says โ€œFavoriteโ€, not Best

• TheZilla
    TheZilla Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

I use FL Studio 21 with NI, Kontakt, etc, however I was surprised by a few things - it might not be ideal in that I just can't seem to figure out how to use multiple independent instruments loaded in a single instance of Kontakt using MIDI, even if you select a different channel, sometimes still only allows the first plugin to get those messages. I currently have to run multiple instances of Kontakt and I'm sure that can't be good for memory or processing overhead. I'm probably missing some pretty basic tutorial out there on YT, but so far I'm just not finding it.

Otherwise, everything seems to be great. I am VERY interested in getting a Komplete Kontrol S88 controller, so I was disappointed to hear the FL Studio 21 isn't an "officially supported DAW" given that it's in the top tier of DAWs along with Ableton Live, or so I've heard. I've just not found my groove with Ableton yet.

Is there another DAW with a workflow somewhat similar-ish to FL Studio? I'm open to trying Studio One and Bitwig, but I feel I've invested so much over the 19 years I've been using it. My biggest complaint about FL isn't the workflow as much as just basic WINDOW management. My God, ... it can be a MESS. I have multiple screens, which it supports.

• Piotr Kasprzyk
    Piotr Kasprzyk Member Posts: 8 Member

Still nobody mentioned Reaper ๐Ÿ™‚ (Edit: as it turns out Reaper was mentioned twice or thrice, but at the time of writing this I have read only first page of comments ๐Ÿ™‚). I cannot understand why this solid piece of software is so much neglected in the professional or semi-professional communities.

The software can be tried before buying (actually until we buy it), it has a very vivid developer community around it and it is very versatile.

It also supports komplete keyboards - there are plugins to download.

• Glenn Rueger
    Glenn Rueger Member Posts: 13 Member

Logic.

But why, oh why does Native Access allow installations/updates of instruments which require a newer OS than what the computer is running? This causes problems my friends.

• Gee_Flat
    Gee_Flat Member Posts: 906 Guru
    edited April 2023

I'm pretty sure the forum's own "magic potion" Guru, @EvilDragon uses it. Ever since I some him post it I never forgot. I always wondered... why does this very knowledgable person use that piece of ******? ๐Ÿ˜‹ Joke. The price is right , that's for sure.

It's all about work flow, and it's hard to break away from something that becomes second nature. For me that's Cubase.

@Chris Cowan ... thought I quoted you: I remember the days when it was just Cakewalk or Cubase. And neither did audio.

edit: the censored word was Krap. haha.

• Tripecac
    Tripecac Member Posts: 5 Member
    edited April 2023

Cakewalk. Since the Pro Audio 9 days. I was worried when Sonar got cancelled, and got Live and Studio One, but so far have never bothered to try those out, because Cakewalk still works! The Bandlab version picks up where Sonar left off, but no longer includes those bundled Cakewalk plugins/instruments which were of little value anyway for those of us using Komplete.

Since Cakewalk is free, it's hard [for me] to justify paying for another DAW (and then paying again and again each time there's a new version). So even though I spent money on Studio One and Live, I'd rather those just stay in the closet.

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,022 mod

Yup, Reaper over here, since version 3.something. Nothing else beats its performance and flexibility.

• stefan.caerts
    stefan.caerts Member Posts: 3 Member

I love Ableton Live, works great with Native Instruments software and hardware!! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿซถ๐Ÿป๐ŸŽต๐ŸŽต๐ŸŽถ๐ŸŽถ๐ŸŽต๐ŸŽต๐ŸŽถ๐ŸŽถ๐ŸคŸ๐Ÿป

• Shen_StL
    Shen_StL Member Posts: 1 Member

Studio One 6 for me ๐Ÿ˜Ž

• MoHoK
    MoHoK Member Posts: 16 Member

actually they're compatible with all DAWS (at least major ones) though for more utility and taking out the most of them.. i think that Cubase and S1 could be better.. when things come to use articulations and other stuff..

but if you want my humble opinion.. it's more important being able using the DAW itself on first hand well than focusing on specific plugins or a specific feature.. when there are tonz of other things in a DAW that might you feel more confident and work with... in the end of the day, what matters is the results you take in overall..