Maschine MK3 and my iMac

Bluenoise72
Bluenoise72 Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
edited April 2023 in Maschine

hi, I want to buy MaschineMK3 but have no idea if its compatible with my slightly old

2019 iMac?

The spec is Catalina , retina 4K

processor 3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5

memory-GB 2667 MHz DDR4

graphics-Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB.

if not can I buy an external hard drive to load all the software too and still be able to use Machine standalone and export files to Garageband my iMac ?

thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,250 Expert

With “Maschine standalone” you mean the software? Cause MK3 is not standalone. The Standalone model (no computer required) is Machine+

And also: external hard drive won’t make any difference with MK3 and Maschine software. Is the computer that runs the software, no matter where it is installed

• just_jump
    just_jump Member Posts: 76 Helper

I think Catalina is the oldest officially supported OS at this point so that might be a consideration.

Maschine+ Standalone has access to expansions, some internal plugins, and a select few viewable on product page. Note only those with a plus on them work in standalone. As Lost mentioned the mk3 and Maschine+ are two different units. The M+ does have the option of connecting to computer and using exactly like a mk3 with access to all plugins (while connect to computer not in standalone mode).

It is possible to export wav files from Maschine to bring into GarageBand. I don’t know if the Maschine plug-in works in GarageBand, but that wouldn’t stop you from exporting a folder of wavs and dropping them in.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,876 mod
    edited April 2023

Standalone Maschine application as opposed to Maschine plugin. Yes, sure can you export and use the audio wherever you want.

It should work, but NI's rule has been to only officially support the 3 latest MacOS versions... Worst case scenario you will be stuck with a specific version of Maschine and wont be able to update to newer versions, but everything would still work.

Software on external drives is not much of a thing, what you can put there to save space are the sound libraries.