Old projects aren't loading Komplete Kontrol correctly

Jasper Dunn
Jasper Dunn Member Posts: 7 Member

Opening Komplete Kontrol in an old project loads this empty page.

If I double-click on the preset it opens correctly, but I lose all my settings and the effects chain I had saved.

Logic Pro 10.7.7

M1 MacBook Pro

Ventura 13.3.1

Best Answer

• Jasper Dunn
    Answer ✓

Look's like I didn't have to do any resaving!

First, I enabled full disk access for NI software and DAWs, no idea why that was turned off. Then rescanned all plugins via KK. This fixed most of my projects, any NI Instrument tracks anyway.

The next issue is waiting on VST3 versions of 3rd party plugins :/

At least I can bounce those tracks down manually I guess. Thanks for your help!

Answers

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,533 Expert

Were the old projects saved with VST2 plugins? You would need to run in Rosetta mode to have them load correctly and will have to then switch them all over to vst3 and re-save.

• Jasper Dunn
    edited April 2023

Oh cool! @JesterMgee how would I switch them over to VST3?

• just_jump
    just_jump Member Posts: 72 Helper

You'd save plugin presets then replace the instance of said plugin and load previously saved preset. Not the most difficult thing but could be tedious - especially if you have plugin chains in your KKs also.

So if you had a KK instance with a Massive patch loaded in then you'd want to save the massive preset from the massive save menu (not a KK nks patch). Then replace KK add Massive VST3 versions and load in the preset / patch you just saved.

Hope that makes sense.

Note that with Logic I guess you just keep the same AU KK plugin because Logic ;) So you'd just need to swap out the vst2 Massive to a vst3 as per example above.

• Jasper Dunn

Damn, that sounds like a pain. If it fixes the issue though, I'm happy. I'll let you know how I go.

• JesterMgee

Yep, it is a pain but if you are on mac, that is the hand you have been dealt. macOS running Apple Silicon requires everything to be updated to "AS Native" code and with VST2 now being discontinued, most DAWs (and Komplete Kontrol) drop VST2 support altogether since most devs will not update the VST2 plugins.

So yeah if you open in Rosetta mode you should be able to copy the settings of the VST2 plugin to a duplicated track with a VST3 version loaded. THis could take you a looooong time to update many projects but as mentioned, export a preset for each track and at least you are also making backups..... Where you will have a headache is those plugins that may not (and may never) offer a compatible VST3 version because remember, even VST3 is not compatible unless it's been updated specifically with Apple Silicon code.

One reason I am happy to be on Windows for my productions, I have unfinished work dating back 15 years!

• Jasper Dunn
    Answer ✓

Look's like I didn't have to do any resaving!

First, I enabled full disk access for NI software and DAWs, no idea why that was turned off. Then rescanned all plugins via KK. This fixed most of my projects, any NI Instrument tracks anyway.

The next issue is waiting on VST3 versions of 3rd party plugins :/

At least I can bounce those tracks down manually I guess. Thanks for your help!

• JesterMgee

Yeah the NI content should all be fine as that migrates. Some plugins will auto switch from VST2 to VST3 but many do not or if they do, automation you have recorded may no longer work at all.

Unlikely to see a VST3 version of Xpand2 any time soon. Pretty sure Air Music will just revamp it and release it as a new/different plugin. People have been asking for them to release VST3 versions of their AIEP collection since before M1 were even a thing.

• Jasper Dunn
    edited April 2023

Ahh that'd be a shame, Hybrid3 is another great instrument that I might have to let go.

• JesterMgee

The new instruments they ahve released as part of the MPC Collection range are pretty well performing and my hope is they will release new versions of Xpans, Hybrid, Vacuum Pro and Loom II. Still so many cool sounds in those, but I purchased all those plugins years ago when they flogged them off for like $5

• Jasper Dunn

Hybrid3 is underrated imho, there are so many incredible synths out there now though. It must be hard for devs to keep maintaining legacy plugins. Still I have some hope.

• Kymeia
    Kymeia Member Posts: 3,605 Expert
    edited April 2023

It's so frustrating how Air have neglected some great plugins - Loom is my favourite

• JesterMgee
    edited April 2023

Yeah there's a guy at InMusic I deal with as part of the beta and product testing who has helped me in a few cases, whenever I ask him about the older Air stuff he always dodges the questions. I think their focus now is to make MPC compatible synths (which is basic synthesis and sampled instruments) and also offer desktop (VST) versions of these. I have a feeling their "Hype" is suppose to be kind of a Loom replacement, but nothing anywhere close to capable.

Yeah, it's interface could really do with an update, it makes it appear so much more clunky/complicated than it actually is although I seldom find myself going for it, mostly due to having the likes of things like Sylenth which even after all these years unchanged is still a winner. I still have dozens of plugins I have never even used beyond just messing around or making NKS.