Problem with drum pedal hi-hat close-open CC#4

madsteex
madsteex Member Posts: 12 Member
edited April 2023 in Scripting Workshop

Hi I'm developing a drum library and I'm trying to set the hi-hat close, mid open and open groups.

I've set into kontakt that the hi-hat works only with the control CC#4.

The open from 0 to 20, the mid-open from 21 to 90 and the Close from 91 up to 127.

All work fine, except from the 127 position which is the "total pressed" pedal situation and should sound the closed hi-hat.

Well is the only position that will not sound, even if the closed hi-hat sounds from 91 up to 126..but the 127 is silent!

Why??

Comments

• Gee_Flat
    Gee_Flat Member Posts: 906 Guru

Try the keyboard with 'midi monitor' in KSP scripts and see if its velocity is reaching 127.

I take it you're using 'Group Starts->On Cntrl', so you could also try setting the controller 'in between' to 127 and 127 for closed hat and test that.

• madsteex

Tried also with closed only from 127 and 127...same...does not sound in that 127.

And yes I'm using the built in kontakt Group Starts On Ctrl CC#4

• Gee_Flat

Only other thing I can suggest is to make sure the zone is set to 127, but I assume you have. I've got nothing else, except try the same concept with a different type of sample sound.

• madsteex

It's really strange...yes of course all the zones are covered...if I play without the ccc#4 rule all works fine--and with cc#4 control all works great from 0 to 126. Boh.

• madsteex

Well just tried to change te cc#4 to cc#1 to check with my keyboard and all works fine.

So I end up that the problem is the hi-hat pedal of my drummer. Strange cause it's the Roland V-drum VAD-507 kit, almost 5k of electronic drum and on the centraline was showing that the pedal was moving from 0 to 127 correctly.

• Gee_Flat

I was going to suggest trying CC1, but didn't thnk it would really help. Why such an unconventional way of doing all hats anyway, rather than voice groups? Abbey Road uses the mod wheel with open hats, so I'm not saying it isn't done.

• madsteex

How with voice groups? The voice groups are used to exclude the open hi hat whne the closed is playing...so to shut down immediately the open sound as soon the closed is playing...but to control them I use CC#4. Is there another way?

• Gee_Flat

No rules, but that method seems very limited. Aside from the inability to shut down open hats with closed or foot pedal - which provides a very natural sound when using voice groups - you can't play a drum groove with two hands if you have to operate a controller for hats only.

As I said, Abbey Road uses the mod wheel for variations of open hats, but I do that after a song is built and it adds some real magic to the feel where it recreates what a drummer would do.

I don't know exactly what you're building, so I'm not trying to preach one way or the other. I was just asking.

You don't have to explain. 😃