Maschine + with Ableton Live

Cren Larvor
Cren Larvor Member Posts: 37 Member

Hello community, I am contacting you because I am unable to use my Maschine + as a midi controller on Ableton. I spent hours reading the Maschine + manual, watching all the videos on the subject, but still without result. I'm linking you to the SiFacile video because I have exactly the same setup (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRfsnMda_JY&t=198s). I followed exactly the same manipulations, but I don't have an outgoing signal like him at 03:07. The difference I noticed is that at 03:07 of the video, his Maschine + is in mode > MIDI > dest. > Host. I am in AUDIO > dest. > none. I imagine that the problem must come from there, but I can't find the manipulation to switch my Maschine + to Midi mode. Can you help me ?

Best Answers

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,198 Expert
    Answer ✓

Let’s first answer how to get Maschine+ connected to your computer in midi mode:

1) First of all you have to turn on your Maschine+ (NOT yet connected to the computer!)

2) Now plug the usb cable in Maschine+ and the computer

3) Let’s put it into controller mode. In this order: Settings button, System tab, Controller button

4) Now that you are in Controller mode, you can switch back and forth from Controller (controlling Maschine software) and Midi mode just by pressing SHIFT + CHANNEL (MIDI) like it was in the older models

• LostInFoundation
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓

But…now that I watched the video you linked…you don’t need the last step (number 4) for this workflow: in this case Maschine is not in Midi mode (which will allow to use Maschine Hardware as a controller for Ableton functionalities) and you don’t need it (but at least now you know the “manipulation” 😉).

What he is doing here is making Maschine Software send midi to Ableton, so that the recorded midi in Ableton will play Maschine Software.

So…the first 3 steps remain valid, but you don’t need number 4. What you need to do is all the settings he explains in the video (EDIT: plus the last thing he forgot that I’ll explain you in my last post under) for the midi to go out from Maschine Software into Ableton and being recorded there.

Btw: the guy explains very well (and with a good/funny style) and in a quite short video. We would need somebody like him in English…the other videos I’ve seen about this are long, tedious and often not too clear 😉

Answers

• LostInFoundation
    Answer ✓

Let’s first answer how to get Maschine+ connected to your computer in midi mode:

1) First of all you have to turn on your Maschine+ (NOT yet connected to the computer!)

2) Now plug the usb cable in Maschine+ and the computer

3) Let’s put it into controller mode. In this order: Settings button, System tab, Controller button

4) Now that you are in Controller mode, you can switch back and forth from Controller (controlling Maschine software) and Midi mode just by pressing SHIFT + CHANNEL (MIDI) like it was in the older models

• LostInFoundation
    edited April 2023

So…the trick is Maschine+ must firstly be in Controller mode, and only then it can switch to midi mode.

Hope this helps and now you can do all the things you want with Ableton

• LostInFoundation
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓

But…now that I watched the video you linked…you don’t need the last step (number 4) for this workflow: in this case Maschine is not in Midi mode (which will allow to use Maschine Hardware as a controller for Ableton functionalities) and you don’t need it (but at least now you know the “manipulation” 😉).

What he is doing here is making Maschine Software send midi to Ableton, so that the recorded midi in Ableton will play Maschine Software.

So…the first 3 steps remain valid, but you don’t need number 4. What you need to do is all the settings he explains in the video (EDIT: plus the last thing he forgot that I’ll explain you in my last post under) for the midi to go out from Maschine Software into Ableton and being recorded there.

Btw: the guy explains very well (and with a good/funny style) and in a quite short video. We would need somebody like him in English…the other videos I’ve seen about this are long, tedious and often not too clear 😉

• LostInFoundation

To be sure of what I say, I will now plug my Maschine+ and try to make it work on my computer. If I find difficulties like yours, I’ll report you back

• LostInFoundation
    edited April 2023

Oooook…I got you covered…I know what is missing in the tutorial and that is not making your setup work.

It’s such an easy thing, when you’ll know it you will facepalm yourself 😏

Aaaaand the secret is…. You have to arm the midi track (in the tutorial track 2) in order to make it receive the signal 😉

Tested and working

I’ll write a comment also under the video for the guy to specify it and avoid other users to be confused like you 😉

• Cren Larvor

Hi LostInFondation, Thank you very much for taking the time to answer me in such detail. I really appreciate 🙏

I didn't know how to switch the controller to midi mode, so thank you for teaching me that already.

On the other hand I also armed the midi track, but I still had no signal.

Did the SiFacile way work for you then?

I have the impression that my machine does not react to the manipulation that I do on ableton. And I'm still in audio while he is in midi on his Maschine (see photo). What do you think?

• LostInFoundation

Yes I tested everything following his tutorial and after arming the track everything is working as expected

• LostInFoundation
    edited April 2023

The fact you are seeing audio instead of midi has nothing to do with it. It’s enough for you to use the 2 arrows buttons (left/right) to the left of the screens to display one or the other menu (Audio or Midi).

Unless you changed things under audio instead of in the midi menu

• LostInFoundation
    edited April 2023

But now I managed to get my Maschine+ stuck while making the photo for you 😂😂😂

Give me a moment to go report this bug and I’ll be back 😉

No…my fault…I didn’t noticed the Surface went in stand by….😮‍💨…back in action

• LostInFoundation
    edited April 2023

What I would suggest you, to be sure you are doing everything like him, is to make (as he is doing) all the settings in the software so you can see if you are in the same menus shown in the video. Start from a brand new blank project. Follow the tutorial step by step by pausing every 3 sec and I’m sure you will be up and running in a breeze.

Once you’ll be more confident with the “beast”, you will do things without following and from the place where you feel more comfortable (software or hardware)😉

• Cren Larvor

I think I have a communication problem between my Maschine + and Maschine 2 on Ableton. Because on the SiFacile video, at 02:16 when he assigns all the pads to each number of the "transpose" button, he also says that you can do it in physics on the Maschine + by pressing the pads. But I have no change on my Maschine + when I do this action on Maschine 2, and conversely, no change on Maschine 2 when I do this action on MascHine +. And I still have this weird thing, my touch menu only offers me Midi Dest. > "none" whereas on SiFacile, its Midi button is assigned to Dest. > Host ..

• LostInFoundation
    edited April 2023

Turn the knobs A LOT. Sometimes when the options are only 2, it takes a 360 turn or more to get to the second option.

But…trust me…do everything how he is doing it on the software. You’ll take care about Maschine+ knobs later.

Btw: there is NO communication involved between Maschine+ and Ableton. The Hardware in controller mode communicates ONLY with the Maschine software. It’s the software that communicates with Ableton

• LostInFoundation
    edited April 2023

I’ve done it both ways (with the mouse in the software and with the knobs in Maschine+) and both ways are working. But…if you don’t want to mess things up, follow my suggestion: start from a brand new blank project, watch the video, pause it at every step and do as he is doing using the software. You’ll seé that everything is working

• Cren Larvor

It is sure that I am missing a parameter or manipulation. I redid all the manipulations about ten times, scrupulously following the video, step by step, from an empty project, I checked all the parameters of his maschine plug-in, and I still don't have a signal. Anyway there is a problem at 02:17, because when I transpose the pads on Maschine 2, the pads of my Maschine + are not transposed at the same time. As if there were no links between hardware and software. I can send you a step by step video if you want?

• LostInFoundation

Just to be sure: is your Maschine+ controlling everything else in the software in controller mode. If you load a group in another place, does the Maschine+ allow to play it and are the knobs working (e.g. for an fx parameters manipulation?