What is your best advice/tutorial to make House Music on Maschine/Maschine Plus?

AdelV
AdelV Member Posts: 218 Pro
edited May 2023 in Maschine

I know that many of you create in this genre of music and do it successfully on Maschine. I dedicate this thread more to House music and the techniques that can be used to create it. I found this tutorial a while back and it has been great in helping me transfer what I've done on Maschine or Maschine Plus to a DAW. Demuir himself is also a House music producer - maybe this will help someone.

Tagged:

Comments

• Ed M
    Ed M Member Posts: 144 Advisor
    edited April 2023

The NI Youtube Channel has some useful video's.

Like this one:

Any other video made by the same guy there's more than worth a watch. After looking all of them you more than likely know almost anything about Maschine.

• AdelV
  • Warren Postma
    Warren Postma Member Posts: 43 Member

Also useful is Jeff Gibbons channel on youtube.

Starting with some of the Maschine patterns in some of the maschine libraries/expansions is a great way to start your track.

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,194 Expert
    edited April 2023

Jeff is really great…but he is the last person I would link to House music 😂

But his tutorials make you understand Maschine, so they are useful for any genre

• AdelV

Nice! This is not tutorial but great video anyway.

• olafmol
    olafmol Member Posts: 133 Pro

tnx! I really like the tutorials Peter Robot posts on YT, f.e.

More House tutorials on Maschine from him: https://www.youtube.com/@PeterRobotMusic/search?query=maschine

• tribepop
    tribepop Member Posts: 160 Advisor
    edited April 2023

Lots of good material already posted but I’d like to add another trick.

Use lock states and morphing between them to get interesting transitions between sections. It works really well for dance music as well.

• Cretin Dilettante
    Cretin Dilettante Member Posts: 120 Advisor

I don't make house, but if I had to guess...you load up a drum kit and go oontz itz atz itz oontz itz atz itz, then add some funky piano chords and acid bass. Maybe add in the occasional vocal sample to spice things up. But that's basically it. 8-16 bars in 4/4 with some minor variation and you're good to go. You don't even have to write a B section, broseph. You can just create a sense of movement by adding/subtracting layers or using filters/delays to transition between loops. Boom. House Music. Oontz itz atz itz oontz itz atz itz. Yeah.

• AdelV

Thank you all for great videos!

• Warren Postma
    Warren Postma Member Posts: 43 Member

The best and most House like part of Boris’ video on the official NI channel, in my opinion is that he’s got the vinyl sample sound and the vinyl workflow (building a lot of the groove around resampling existing samples that have been given a very vintage vinyl vibe), and I think that while I’m not huge into “house” I like the “uplifting” (happy) house that he makes.

I do wish he spent a tiny bit more time showing us what he’s doing. I am still early on in the learning curve and navigating my project via the hardware is the current problem I’m facing, the video is more appropriate for someone who has already made lots of stuff and is comfortable navigating around maschine hardware (and software) and has a “flow” going.

I remain in search of “help me find my flow” resources.

• djadidai
    djadidai Member Posts: 389 Pro

It’s not as simple as @Cretin Dilettante says, the difficult part is to make something “easy” sound groovy and dynamic, not repetitive and flat. That’s the hard part. What you’d need to do is experiment with velocities and mix volumes, EQ and compression to make that “easy loop” feel like it could go on forever and ever without making your ears tired. Make sure to be super selective when it comes to EVERY sample/sound you choose, add or consider adding. “Less is more” is most often the best advice. It’s not about how many layers or sounds, it’s about finding something that makes you/listener wanna bounce. A quick tip: snares, hihats and percs should be quieter than you think. And even then, take them down just a little bit more. Peace

• Psyearth5
    Psyearth5 Member Posts: 129 Helper

...for example a House with different samples on different velocities will give that repeat with something offset but again right on time but first make several kicks to fit one another then they will be easily pitched to get Bass and kick communicating, same goes for claps and shares a few of them. Hi hats should be lower in Volume then Kick and Snare to form good Balance. From my experience Maschine MK3 have good sampling capabilities and if you record sound from E. Drink and pitch them down ( sometimes -12) they will sound amazing in Sampler.

• Murat Kayi
    Murat Kayi Member Posts: 429 Pro

@Warren Postma check out the various seasons of "trutorials" for Maschine on NI's YouTube channel! Bitesized inspiration made for applying to your own style!