Which CPU Generation is still ok? (loading times)

McClaneonfire
McClaneonfire Member Posts: 148 Member

Hello everyone,

I am looking for a used computer. The old one takes like a minute to open Maschine or Ableton 11.

I guess Intel i5 with 16GB would be ok. An SSD I already have so that should also speed things up.

But: which Generation of the i5 is good for this budget project? Like where to start, Generation 4xxx ?

Tagged:

Comments

• McClaneonfire

The PC will be used by kids to learn Ableton and Maschine / NI virtual instruments

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert
    edited April 2023

At least four cores. Might be 8th gen. I run Maschine on 10th gen i5 (but it is super ultralight passively cooled, so not very high CPU clock) and it is OK for sketching light projects.

You know one needs pretty strong computer for music production.... The demand is more like computer for games minus graphical card....

And if Intel not 12th and 13th gen using big.little.

• McClaneonfire

Thanx for the fast answer!!

The last sentence I didn't get?

• chk071
    chk071 Member Posts: 357 Pro

What is the budget?

• Kubrak

I would avoid 12th and 13th generation of Intels. They use big and little cores which may cause problems in audio programs, unless they have adapted for this big change in x86 CPU architecture....

• McClaneonfire
  • chk071

"as low as possible"

I would say that pretty much rules out the more modern Intel generation. 😉

Don't worry about hyperthreading, by the way. Any CPU from the Intel Core-i series does hyperthreading.

• Kubrak

Any CPU from the Intel Core-i series does hyperthreading.

I think that some of older models do not.

@McClaneonfire

Up to 11th gen, there is no big.little in Intel CPUs.

I personally prefer AMDs Zen CPUs to Intel, they use less energy so they are easier to cool. Zen3 or newest Zen4.

Concerning price. Do not do the same mistake as I did. I bought old i7 (but it was only 2 core CPU) notebook and very fast it was not sufficient for music production. I switched to stronger old i7 (4 cores) notebook and in two years it was not sufficient.... I have 10 computers at home and the one for music production is by far the most powerfull.

If you buy weak computer, very fast you will have to buy stronger... If kids will like music production.

The thing is that computer must be able to compute everything in real time, if it cannot, the sound will have dropouts and it will make computer unusable for music creation. It is not like with most programs, things just take more time, no problem. No, in music production things must be computed just in time, it is not possible wait little bit more....

• McClaneonfire

Yes @Kubrak - that is what I guessed. The real time factor. Funny thing is that the old AMD we have now triggers Maschine Mikro mk3 pads almost in real time. What does get on my nerves is the mentioned opening time in general of programs.

Thanks to everyone for your ideas!!!

I will look for i7 the highest possible Generation and also for the AMD Zen 3 / 4.

16GB Ram and my SSD should also do some good.

• McClaneonfire

Not really sure because at the Intel website everything below 10th cpu generation shows "hyperthreading: no". But maybe it is not as relevant. Just read it here as system recommendation by Native Instruments.

• Kubrak

i7 has/had always hyperthreading, I guess.

I5 - I think that some of older models did not have it. Now, I am not sure, if all have it. Maybe yes. (My 10th gen i5 has it.)

I3 - Did not have hyterthreading, now I do not know.

• McClaneonfire
    edited April 2023

How about this one:

i7-3770

This even has hyperthreading - I don't get it because it's gen 3 right? Also 4 cores / 8 threads.

-> A Dell Vostro 470 i7 for 140€ a PC - sounds great. With 16 GB Ram / Windows installed.

What do you guys think?

• Kubrak

It could do for some time. If kids start, it might do for two, three years. On the other side, it is possible to overload CPU easily if using CPU hungry plugins.

I have used Dell Vostro 3650 with i7 (4C/8T) 16 GB RAM till year ago. It was 3th gen, i7 3612QM.

Installing SSD helps a lot when loading bigger Kontakt Libraries.

• McClaneonfire

Yes, using an SSD helps a lot!

• chk071

I had an i3 in an older laptop (I think 4th gen Intel), and, it had hyperthreading.