Tension on Encoder knobs brand new Maschine

Staykool
Staykool Member Posts: 72 Helper
edited February 2022 in Maschine

Hi everyone. I owned a Maschine Mk3 and Maschine Studio for many years.

Just bought a Maschine vapor gray. I notice that the tension on the 8 encoders knobs is very tight on this new unit. So when making selections I have to turn the knobs with much more force.

Is there anyway to loosen the tension so I when I turn them they are not so tight. Is this just me or is it this way with all brand new units. Does the tension get better over time?

All my other Maschine were several years old. Very easy to turn the encoders. A nice light touch.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited February 2022 Answer ✓

It's most likely the other way around: your old controller's knobs got very loose over time and maybe you didn't notice, this is a pretty known issue... Had it with Studio, MK3, KKS-Mk1, and also KKS-Mk2.

The M+ seems better in this regard, only one knob so far is a little bit looser but cant say for sure as I barely use it TBH.

Answers

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert

Could the Knob Caps be binding on the case? That might indicate that either the caps were pushed down too far, or there is an alignment issue with the encoder control board (set too low in the chassis). Just riffing here, don't have that issue on my older MK3 either...

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

I do not have M+, but i have read that it has different 3D controller and encoders that have more solid run.

Maybe vaporgray has those from M+....

• Schmapps1
    Schmapps1 Member Posts: 133 Pro

I would kill for nice, stiffer, consistent knobs on my Mk3 haha.

mine are basically a bunch of different tensions, some with nice tension and some that feel so loose it feels like they may spin right off

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited February 2022 Answer ✓

It's most likely the other way around: your old controller's knobs got very loose over time and maybe you didn't notice, this is a pretty known issue... Had it with Studio, MK3, KKS-Mk1, and also KKS-Mk2.

The M+ seems better in this regard, only one knob so far is a little bit looser but cant say for sure as I barely use it TBH.

• Staykool

As usual D-One to the rescue. Thx. BTW I don't have M+ I have MK3 vapor gray

• Staykool

Schmapps. Just a word of caution. Those knobs can come off very easily and fall on the floor. if you don't realize it they can be vacuumed up. I like to use compressed air to clean my gear and more than once the knobs on my Maschine Studio would fly off into a see of black cords and I didn't notice. Luckily I found them before I started vacuuming. LOL Happy music making!

• Kubrak

My son removed handfull of them and eated them.... :-( It did not hurt him. I did...

I had to remove all knob caps from all controllers, till the time he grew up a bit and stopped eating them.

• Staykool

Sounds like your son is a BEAT EATER!! The kid is a natural born record producer!!

• Staykool
    edited February 2022

I can confirm that knob tension on new units is very tight as per D-one's post earlier. I owned several maschines and the knobs were nice and loose, easy to turn. Just rec'd both the Maschine and KK S61 in vapor gray. The knob tension is rather tight. evidently this is normal behavior.

• Kubrak

It looks like it may happen. He loved to play keyboard using hands and feet at the same time when beeing a baby. And now his favorite play is to load Expansions and if he likes it (he mostly likes techno) he dances and randomly pushes buttons, pads. And displays, which frightens me a bit.....

And he loves Maschine Jam as there is lot of things to push and fancy lights.

What facinates me is that it takes him fraction of second to deside if he likes or dislikes the song. He'll be four soon.

• Staykool

Kid is the next superstar! haha.

• Psyearth5
    Psyearth5 Member Posts: 129 Helper

Be gentle, use them with less power and they will last for long as mine are. They become loose but as soon I realized that I just started to be more careful and knobs are working. Just don't use full power with them and you will use to it. I asked many YouTube-rs and it is" normal" that's why I want to buy Maschine+ which is build much stable without those loosen knobs.

• Staykool

Hi I actually want my encoders to be loose. They are way too tight.