Cremona quartet does not accept All Midi Notes Off command in Pro Tools. Can that be fixed.

Dcb
Dcb Member Posts: 7 Member

I have had an “all midi notes off” issues ever since I got Cremona Quarter over a year ago. The Cremona Quartet intruments do not respond to and “all midi notes off” message sent from Pro Tools. I went through severaI rounds with tech support a year ago and finally gave up. The response I got was that one should not stop play in the middle of a note. Well, that’s no an answer. When you are overdubbing on a session with 20 instruments going, you may have to stop occasionally, and you can’t wait for all instruments to come to an end. When you stop a Pro Tools session, all notes are supposed to stop.I recently purchased PROJECT SAM ORCHESTRAL ESSENTIALS 1 and 2 and found they have the same problem as the Cremona Quartet. So I checked all my libraries out, and here is what I found: I have 85 Kontakt libraries, and 78 of them have no problem accepting the all midi notes off message in Pro Tools. The seven libraries with issues are Cremona Quartet (4), Orchestral Essentials (2), and Symphony Series Woodwinds. What is somewhat odd is that the Symphony Series String Ensemble and the Project Sam Orchestral Brass work fine. I wondered what is different in construction between the Symphony Series Woodwinds and Symphony Series Strings or between two different libraries from Project Sam. I contacted Project Sam, asking why ORCHESTRAL ESSENTIALS had the all notes issue but the older ORCHESTRAL BRASS CLASSIC didn’t, and I believe they gave me the answer that is the key to this puzzle. This is not a problem on my end, but rather a problem with the libraries.

Here is what they said:

Wytse Braaksma (ProjectSAM)

Apr 3, 2023, 13:26 GMT+2

Hi Dennis,

Thank you for your explanation.

From the 2.0 updates we wrote our own note on & off code. Orchestral Brass Classic presumably uses the functionality of Kontakt itself.

The issue has been noted and we will look into a possible solution with the next update for Orchestral Essentials.

Best regards,

Wytse

ProjectSAM

www.projectsam.com

So this also must be what happened with Cremona and the other Kontakt libraries that don’t function properly.

If someone could try the following, maybe we could identify the problem with the remaining Kontakt libraries

1. Instantiate Kontakt in a Pro Tools session

2. Load a Cremona Quartet Instrument into Kontakt.

3. Play a sustained note and hold it.

4. Click on “All Midi Notes Off” in the Pro Tools Event Menu.

5. Does the note stop? For me it doesn’t.

Best Answers

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,198 Expert
    Answer ✓

Out of curiosity: did you try to load these libraries inside Komplete Kontrol instead of directly in Kontakt? Does anything change? (I suppose not, since KK is loading Kontakt inside itself probably)

• Dcb
    Answer ✓

Great. Thanks. I even had a bit of a problem with the latest Kontakt. I’m not a fan of icons, and it took a bit for Kontakt to look like it used to. I played around a bit, and things already feel more comfortable. And I’m just really excited to be able to use the Cremona Quartet again. The hung notes made it impossible. I even passed this workaround on the the guys at Project Sam. Thanks again for all your help.

Answers

• LostInFoundation
    Answer ✓

Out of curiosity: did you try to load these libraries inside Komplete Kontrol instead of directly in Kontakt? Does anything change? (I suppose not, since KK is loading Kontakt inside itself probably)

• Dcb

Thank you Lost In Foundation. I’ll give KK a try, but like you, I doubt success. I think Project Sam had the answer: whoever built Cremona used their own on/off code rather than using Kontakts. I started several support tickets, but NI won’t respond.

• Dcb

Well, Lost In Foundation, what sort of genius are you? Much to my amazement, Cremona Quartet and the Project Sam Orchwestral Essentials do accept the Pro Tools "all midi notes off" mesage when I use them in KOMPLETE KONTROL. Now I just have to learn how to use KK. It sure seems cumbersone. I much prefer the simplicty of Kontakt. But I will only need to Use KK for Cremona and Orch Essentials. I may have to rebuild my custom Cremona instruments as they don't show up in KK. Oh well, no biggie. Thank you very much. I wonder why NI never helped me. Maybe I'm labelled as a troublemaker. So end a year of frustration.

• LostInFoundation

A guessing genius 😂😂😂

I admit I didn’t have too much hope too, but I thought giving a try would not hurt…

I’m happy for you 👍🏼

• LostInFoundation
    edited April 2023

In any case, even if loaded in KK, the way to work should remain the same: the interface that opens in KK is in any case the one for Kontakt, so nothing changes for you (first suggestion: in KK, under the View tab at the top, select Edit view and you’ll feel like back home again. And I suppose you will find your custom instruments again without having to rebuild anything 😉)

If you have other questions, feel free to ask

• LostInFoundation

And…don’t worry…I’m labeled as troublemaker too 😏

• Dcb

Thank you. I'm sure I'll get used to it. Maybe I just balked at the concept and name, Komplete Kontrol. I'm not usually in favor of those who want "complete control." (Amazon, Google, Facebook, TikTok) I'm just a stick-in-the mud.

• LostInFoundation
    edited April 2023

@Dcb I’ll write this again, cause I edited the previous message and maybe you didn’t see:

First suggestion: in KK, under the View tab at the top, select Edit view and you’ll feel like back home again. And I suppose you will find your custom instruments again without having to rebuild anything 😉

If you have other questions, feel free to ask

• Dcb
    Answer ✓

Great. Thanks. I even had a bit of a problem with the latest Kontakt. I’m not a fan of icons, and it took a bit for Kontakt to look like it used to. I played around a bit, and things already feel more comfortable. And I’m just really excited to be able to use the Cremona Quartet again. The hung notes made it impossible. I even passed this workaround on the the guys at Project Sam. Thanks again for all your help.

• Dcb

Yippee! Hit the view tab, and I'm at home again. Got my custom instruments back!

• LostInFoundation

Told ya… 😉