Mac OS 13.3.1 Final Cut Pro freezes on startup during Audio Unit Validation

Artist Davee Bee
Artist Davee Bee Member Posts: 5 Newcomer
edited April 2023 in Komplete General

Less of a question, and more of a work around/fix if you've updated to Mac OS 13.3, use Final Cut Pro, and also have Native Instrument plugins installed. I currently have both an iMac Pro (Intel processor/2017) and a new 16" MacBook Pro with M2 Max processor, and both were updated to 13.3.1. Took me forever to figure this out today. After uninstalling what I thought was ALL of the Native Instrument files, I found that the most important ones are located in the library directly under the Macintosh HD directory. Macintosh HD>Library>Audio>Plug-Ins>Components(as well as VST and VST3). Any Native Instrument Files located here will freeze the loading of Final Cut Pro; however they seemed to work fine when opening as standalone tools and as plug-ins for Logic Pro. I saw slightly less negative workaround where you don't have to uninstall everything if you use both Logic Pro and Final Cut Pro on the same machine, and that is to just remove the files from those specific folders whenever you need to use FCP, but return them to their respective folders when you have to use Logic Pro. Annoying, but better than needing to uninstall everything. Hope that helps some of you.

Best Answer

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓

@Artist Davee Bee @goatea @just_jump Thanks all for chiming in. It seems to be a broader issue, not only related to NI but I'll try to get some more information from our side. Don't hesitate to update this thread if you get news from Apple on the matter.

Answers

• Jeremy_NI
    edited April 2023

@Artist Davee Bee You shouldn't need to move these files. On your M2 computer, does Final Cut have Full Disk Access? How to Enable Full Disk Access on macOS

I assume that Final Cut is now fully compatible. If you open Final Cut in Rosetta mode do you have the same issues? How to Open Your DAW Using Rosetta

• Artist Davee Bee
    edited April 2023

Thanks, @Jeremy_NI . I double-checked that. Final Cut Pro has full disk access on my Intel iMac Pro and M2 Max MacBook Pro. Rosetta wouldn't be an option on the iMac Pro, so I need to move the previously mentioned files temporarily. Final Cut Pro on my M2 does not offer the opportunity to start up with Rosetta, only Logic Pro allows that, and that app isn't experiencing problems where I would need to use it. The file shuffle is the only option that has worked so far. So I've shortcut both my Plug-ins folder and the temporary location in my finder sidebar, and it's a 5-second workaround at worst.

• just_jump
    just_jump Member Posts: 72 Helper

This isn’t specific to NI plugins. I did a bunch of testing and have seen it with all my vendors. Most will pass one at a time, but trying to validate batches it just hangs out and does nothing. Don’t know what happens with the MacOS update but I filed a bug report with Apple - you should too probably.

No issues with Logic or Ableton that I tested specifically.

• just_jump

Oh and @Jeremy_NI Final Cut Pro is an exception to the Rosetta checkbox. Apparently there’s some terminal hacks to force it which I didn’t try. Just FYI

• Artist Davee Bee

@just_jump correct, plenty of other plugins that Final Cut has to validate audio units on that 13.3 messed up. I'm usually better at checking all my plug-ins for compatibility, but I just hit software update and didn't think twice about it this time. Thankfully my workaround is, at worst, a minor inconvenience.

• goatea
    goatea Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

@Jeremy_NI I tried to change "full disk access" but it still doesn't work. My FCP X hangs on open. I need to remove plug-ins from Components folder in order to use FCP X with NI plugins installed.

• just_jump

It’s extra weird because plugins don’t fail or pass. If they all failed in Final Cut it wouldn’t matter for my workflows. While it isn’t limited to NI it would be nice if they’re able to work with Apple to figure out what happened with the OS update.

Other vendors I tested specifically: Arturia, Izotope, Valhalla

• Jeremy_NI
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓

@Artist Davee Bee @goatea @just_jump Thanks all for chiming in. It seems to be a broader issue, not only related to NI but I'll try to get some more information from our side. Don't hesitate to update this thread if you get news from Apple on the matter.

• Zuuti
    Zuuti Member Posts: 8 Member

I contacted apple about this a week ago. The Final Cut Pro person told me over the phone that this is a reoccurring issue with NI and some other audio companies that take a while to update plugins to make them compatible with the lates OS. He basically shifted the blame and said NI needs to update on their end. My only workaround for this issue currently is moving the contents of the components folder before opening Final Cut Pro and then moving it all back. I have no issues opening Logic Pro for some reason, my issues are only happening with Final Cut Pro.

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,197 Expert
    edited April 2023

@Zuuti thanks for additional infos about Apple statement (which, as always with Apple, must be taken with a grain of salt…)

• just_jump

For what it’s worth, when I filed a bug report with Apple someone from Final Cut Pro did actually reply asking for clarification and more information to my surprise. So I’d encourage anyone experiencing this to also file a bug report.

I didn’t get the sense it was a known issue to them :/

• Artist Davee Bee
    edited April 2023

Very important! Having worked for Apple previously, using apple.com/feedback is crucial to how speedy an update arrives for something they have control to fix. The more people experiencing the same issue and using this tool to report, or even simply contacting support creates an escalation to that matter, and hopefully gets it more quickly addressed in a follow up patch. Assuming it’s something they can actually fix and not something that a plug-in developer actually has to update to remain compatible.

• iNate
    iNate Member Posts: 151 Advisor

Final Cut Pro is unusable if you have AUs installed and updated to 13.3 (or 13.3.1). The AU Validator freezes and then the application becomes unusable as it will not proceed past the splash screen. The only way to open it, is to uninstall or move all Audio Units out of the Components folder. It even freezes validating Apple's own 1st party Audio Units in that folder.

It is not a NI problem, it's an issue with Ventura 13.3/13.3.1. It broke the software.

Only workaround for now is to use a different NLE like DaVinci Resolve or Premiere Pro.

Otherwise, you're left playing musical chairs with all of your plug-ins - assuming you never use them in Final Cut Pro.

• Artist Davee Bee

Interesting. That hasn’t been my experience. My first party plug-ins work fine and the rest of my NI plug-ins haven’t prevented Final Cut from validating either. Only Guitar Rig 6 Pro and Supercharger.

• Jeremy_NI

Hey all, would it be possible for you to open the Console app, see if there are some Final Cut crashlogs, right click them, reveal in Finder, zip them and post them here?