S61 MK1 keybed is WAY too noisy, I need a new and very quiet controller

Cosmo Supatrain
Cosmo Supatrain Member Posts: 2 Member
edited April 2023 in Komplete Kontrol

I've had mine for 7 years and I presume it has gotten noisier. It sounds like a percussion instrument! I play synths and pianos at very low volumes.

Is the MK2 just as bad? Can anyone recommend the quietest keybed they have played? All I really need is functioning OCT -+ buttons and occasional mod and PB. AT is not really necessary.

My old Kronos' keybed sounds good but it is too clunky and the octave buttons don't work in KK. My Virus is sweet and soft but it is 3 octaves.

Sweetwater recommends the Novation Impulse 61 as a very quiet controller but I don't like the looks of it or the reviews https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Impulse61--novation-impulse-61-keyboard-controller

Tagged:

Comments

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,531 Expert

It is probable you can fix it with new felt. Depending on how much you use it, just like any keyboard, it eventually needs some service work after some years to maintain it. There is a felt strip I believe that absorbs the key impacts that can be replaced easily enough. Might be worth the effort to at least try that first.

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,194 Expert
    edited April 2023

Another suggestion, albeit not an easy one to digest (pricey 😶): if you liked your KK S Keyboard, be aware that s49 and s61 keybed have semi-weighted Fatar keys, while s88 Fatar keybed is hammer-action. Better keys therefore…but they come at a price (and at a bigger keyboard size)!

• LostInFoundation
    edited April 2023

@Cosmo Supatrain I checked for you: since you don’t seem too interested in bells and whistles and maybe the screens aren’t a must for you, you could watch at a used s88 mk1. The lowest price I’ve seen is 425 USD. For a mk2 we are already talking about a 800 range

Be aware that mk1 models mount touch strips for mod/pitch wheels

• JesterMgee

Better keys therefore…but they come at a price (and at a bigger keyboard size)!

Subjective if the S88 keys are "Better", they are Hammer Action keys opposed to Synth Action keys. Better yes if you are use to weighted acoustic piano playing and looking for an emulation (somewhat) of that, but not better if you need something more all-round that can be used also for percussion for instance where you want the feel of a more springy lighter key. Personally I much prefer the synth action than hammer action

I think if the OP is use to the play style of 7 years of the S61 they prob won't like the feel of the S88 for the extra cost, it's quite different. TBH if it was the option of having to get a new keyboard i'd be at least opening the thing up and having a look at what could be done, likely the fix would be pennies.

Here is a teardown for a bit of an insight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf-01WiF1k0

• LostInFoundation
    edited April 2023

You are right, it is subjective and it depends on what one is used to. And probably almost all of us are used to semi-weighted (or even not semi-weighted but worse ones 😂). I for one feel better with semi-weighted (but probably just because I haven’t spent enough time with hammer-action).

But technically hammer-action ARE better. The reason they started not to put hammer-action keys on synthesizers and cheaper keyboards is…they are too expensive 😂😂😂. Then we get used to them, since not all the people started to learn on Steinway & Sons pianos 😏

• Cosmo Supatrain
    Cosmo Supatrain Member Posts: 2 Member

Great ideas here:

I will think about getting the felt re-done but I remember it has been "a bit too loud" for a long time so it just might be the design. Thnks for the link!

As for the used or new 88-key that is a great suggestion. I do play piano and have always wanted one. Wish they made a 76.

I have heard over the years that the mk1 had all sorts of problems, so I do not think I would get a mk1. My other thought is that the hammer action might be even louder than the synth action.

• JesterMgee

But technically hammer-action ARE better. 

But technically only if that is what you are after. Many musicians that play analog synths on stage would not feel comfortable playing the same things on a hammer action keybed. Also, there is more mechanical stuff happening in those and they also tend to be played harder, so feedback I have seen over the years they suffer the same issues of noisy keys but it can be worse since you are playing them harder generally.

I have heard over the years that the mk1 had all sorts of problems, so I do not think I would get a mk1.

The only issues really have beeen the same "noisy keys" however the number of people that seem to have this issue compared to the seeming number that don't (either they speak up without issue or are not posting on the forums) the issues are not wide spread, and who knows what abuse some people put their keyboards through.

All keyboards and pianos need some service work at some stage. A MIDI controller I give 6-10 years of constant use before it needs some attention so seems about right if you use it all the time> I still have an S61 MK1 and persoonally I use it because I like the touchstrips for PB/Mod. I kind of find them more capable of doing some cool slides and very fast bends compared to wheels. Again, it's one of those things where it's not everyones preference but I have also S61 MK2 and A series keyboard and I still prefer the MK1 in most respects.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

@Cosmo Supatrain I have old S88 MK1 and no problem. It works fine.

--------------

Hammer x semiweighted. It is more personal preference than better or worse. Semiweighted was my first experience with keys. I could play, sort of, but .... When I got hammer because I wanted 88 keys, I started to feel the keys and enjoy it. I would not go back to semiweighted. And when I touched real piano it was even greater.

• LostInFoundation

I SAID it is subjective… and of course if you are used to something you won’t feel comfortable…as I said

But…technically IS technically and doesn’t depend on what you’re after. This is another matter. We can say “technically it is better, but I don’t like it” but this will not change the technic aspect of it.

Sometimes I feel unread 😂😂😂

• LostInFoundation
    edited April 2023

”Joke disclaimer”

@Cosmo Supatrain You could use one of this:

It will read your fingers positions in the air and it will be completely noise-free. Air pianists are the future 😂

And then, you can also use it to play Fruit ninja 😂😂😂