Kontakt 5, 6 and 7 side by side in Cubase

ProfessorChaos
ProfessorChaos Member Posts: 129 Advisor
edited April 2023 in Kontakt

Is there any point keeping Kontakt 5 and 6 if you have the full version of 7 installed?

Edit: I forgot to mention, in macOS Ventura, in an M1 Mac.

Answers

• Monochrome
    Monochrome Member Posts: 1,113 Expert
    edited March 2023

If you have DAW projects that use Kontakt 5 or 6, you will need to keep these versions installed since installing Kontakt 7 will not automatically replace existing Kontakt content in your projects.

• ProfessorChaos
    ProfessorChaos Member Posts: 129 Advisor

I do not have older projects, but one thing I noticed when trying to load in Cubase Pro 12 the Ashton Gleckman project for The Dark Knight Rises, which is several years old, is that if I set Cubase to native M1, it loads all the Kontakt 5 instances as Kontakt 7.

It seems to me that way because I tried to load the project setting Cubase to Rosetta mode, and it spent ages trying to find and load several Kontakt 5 instruments, until it crashed Cubase. Note that I did this with the original untouched .cpr file, not the copy I had used to load it in native mode.

And Cubase crashed twice more when trying Rosetta mode, so I left it alone, and I'm trying to replace all the instruments with what I have anyway, but according to what you're saying, if I were to uninstall Kontakt 5 and 6, and launch in Rosetta mode, then it wouldn't try to load those tracks in Kontakt 7?

Besides that, does keeping Kontakt 5 and 6 installed cause any kinds of problems if all the projects are K7 based, even remotely?

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod

Cubase is one of the rare DAWs that actually migrayte Kontakt tracks from one version to another.

• JoNee
    JoNee Member Posts: 9 Member

I have started this thread Kontakt 6 templates and Kontakt 7 — Community (native-instruments.com)

So are you saying that my Cubase (Windows) instrument tracks with a Kontakt 6 instance will open automatically with Kontakt7 if I have Kontakt 7 installed?

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod

@JoNee Kontakt 7 Instances will automatically load if no previous versions of Kontakt are found on the system. That should also be the case for templates.