Can you unload an instrument or library from the Komplete Kontrol browser?

JTi
JTi Member Posts: 3 Newcomer

I can find no button or indicator to unload a currently loaded library/instrument in the Komplete Kontrol browser.

Best Answers

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓

@JTi You don't need to close the browser or "unload", you can simply click onanother preset in the browser, it will load instead of the previous one loaded.

• JTi
    Answer ✓

A ha! The light just came on. Either you replace the instrument or you probable don't need KK at all for that track. Sorry for the dumb question.

Answers

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,198 Expert

In Maschine, in the preferences under Plug-ins tab you can check/uncheck VSTs. Now I don’t recall for Komplete Kontrol. Check there. I can check only tomorrow

• Kymeia
    Kymeia Member Posts: 3,605 Expert
    edited April 2023

I think what they mean is, is there a way to remove the plugin instance once loaded? Actually there isn't for the instrument, you can only replace it with another instrument. Subsequently effects loaded in the chain have a little x to click on to remove them but I never understood why the instrument in the first slot can only be replaced. Maybe there is a good reason or maybe it's just a GUI quirk that people never saw as a big enough issue to want to get changed

• LostInFoundation

I already checked ☺️

Yes, it’s there: Edit-Preferences- Plug-ins- Manager tab

Uncheck what you don’t want

But it’s only for the plug-ins, not the NI libraries

• Kymeia
    edited April 2023

It also only stops the plug-in showing in the dropdown plugin loader, it doesn't stop it being scanned into KK, nor does it stop it loaded from any NKS files for that plugin in the browser. For example, I was hoping it could be used to force KK to only load the VST3 version if I have both VST2 and 3 of a plugin on my system but unfortunately it doesn't work like that.

btw I don't think this is what the OP was asking but if they want to remove plugins from the browser itself (not the plugin dropdown or from being 'loaded') you need to remove the actual NKS files and then rescan the database. Plugins that have been uninstalled may still show their NKS files in the browser if those haven't been removed as well.

• LostInFoundation
    edited April 2023

In Kontakt you can hide them, but I fear it’s not possible in KK

• LostInFoundation

I specified it is for plug-ins and not libraries.

And I thought he specified “from the kk browser” cause he didn’t want to uninstall anything (maybe he still want to use them in Maschine or Kontakt

And…really? You uncheck them and they still get scanned? Doesn’t seem the expected behavior to me. Isn’t this a bug? Useful information, thank you

• Kymeia

Yeah I'm told it's expected behaviour, just not entirely the most desirable. The idea is it's just to manage what shows in the dropdown menu.

• LostInFoundation
    edited April 2023

So…someone doesn’t want to see them in the dropdown menu (so not even be able to use them) but still wants to lose time waiting for them to be scanned at startup?…NI idea of “expected behaviour “ is quite strange, isn’t it? 😂

Out of curiosity: what was your “expected behaviour “?

• Kymeia

That it 'managed' plugins - not just how they appear. However tbh I don't know any host that enables complete exclusion of plugins on a per plugin basis but I do know some that allow you to choose between the VST2 and VST3 versions (eg Freestyle).

• LostInFoundation

If I recall correctly, Studio One DAW allows that. At least I’m sure it has a “blacklist”

• Jeremy_NI

@JTi Did the answers that our users kindly provided here help?

• Kymeia

No it does the same really - you can hide plugins in the browser and rearrange them but it doesn't allow you to select which plugins get scanned in (the blacklist is something most hosts have to stop buggy plugins causing problems - Komplete Kontrol also has one but with a shorter 'half life' than Studio One's)

• LostInFoundation

Oh…I will check…my naive mind made me think these things were more useful. Thank you

• JTi

Thanks to everyone for your responses. I know it's a small issue, but it was bugging me. It appears that once you load an instrument into the Komplete Kontrol browser you cannot unload it. You have to close the browser and start over. I guess the thinking is that once you have found the sound you think will work in your project why unload and look for something else?

• Jeremy_NI
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓

@JTi You don't need to close the browser or "unload", you can simply click onanother preset in the browser, it will load instead of the previous one loaded.