Chords Button - Select nashville notation system

TomArrow
TomArrow Member Posts: 10 Member

Hi

is it possible to select nashville notation system when i have presed the Chords button and use the type selection.

many thanks for helping

Tom

Best Answer

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓

Yes, it's possible if I understand that Nashville thingy correctly, it seems to be simply using numbers to represent degrees / chords?

It's pretty what Chord Harmonizer Mode does when there is a Type selected, for example, say:

Type Minor>Mode Harmonizer>1-3-5 in C:

1. Pad 1 C minor
    2. Pad 2 D dim
    3. Pad 3 Eb maj
    4. Pad 4 F min
    5. Etc...

Basically, the Nashville numbers are the Pad numbers, as they will always play the 1st, 3rd and 5th degrees of the scale to create a Chord so you're able to easily make any chord that belongs to the scale without thinking. Also, a progression say I-IV-V can be made by pressing the corresponding Pads 1, 4 and 5 (numbers related to Chords not the degrees in this case)

Other "types" will give chords a bit more advanced, 1-3-5-7, will give you 7ths Chords, but there's no 9th's or 13th's.

The main problem with this is you get basic stuff only, which typically isn't used that often in real songs, progressions tend to have voicings that make sense where some chords are inverted and others not, the root note is the bass only, and all sorts of shenanigans...

The Harmonizer gives you an output that will sound like a kid playing in his first week of Piano theory classes 😬 Bit it can still work in some cases and you can always edit it to add complexity. Custom chord sets would be much better like @tight-disguise said.

Answers

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,196 Expert

Sorry for the ignorance…but what is nashville notation system? If I understand it, maybe I can help ☺️

• tight-disguise
    tight-disguise Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

would be a nice feature, but nothing essential. there are plenty of better improvements that could happen to chord mode (including a way to define your own chord sets for example or enable voice leading between chords).

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓

Yes, it's possible if I understand that Nashville thingy correctly, it seems to be simply using numbers to represent degrees / chords?

It's pretty what Chord Harmonizer Mode does when there is a Type selected, for example, say:

Type Minor>Mode Harmonizer>1-3-5 in C:

1. Pad 1 C minor
    2. Pad 2 D dim
    3. Pad 3 Eb maj
    4. Pad 4 F min
    5. Etc...

Basically, the Nashville numbers are the Pad numbers, as they will always play the 1st, 3rd and 5th degrees of the scale to create a Chord so you're able to easily make any chord that belongs to the scale without thinking. Also, a progression say I-IV-V can be made by pressing the corresponding Pads 1, 4 and 5 (numbers related to Chords not the degrees in this case)

Other "types" will give chords a bit more advanced, 1-3-5-7, will give you 7ths Chords, but there's no 9th's or 13th's.

The main problem with this is you get basic stuff only, which typically isn't used that often in real songs, progressions tend to have voicings that make sense where some chords are inverted and others not, the root note is the bass only, and all sorts of shenanigans...

The Harmonizer gives you an output that will sound like a kid playing in his first week of Piano theory classes 😬 Bit it can still work in some cases and you can always edit it to add complexity. Custom chord sets would be much better like @tight-disguise said.

• TomArrow
    TomArrow Member Posts: 10 Member

Hi

thanks for helping. The System 1-3-5 is a little bit helpfull - but only a little bit.

I need no B (German H), better G/B (G/H). And also C4, C2, G4. So it wood be perfekt to build my own Chordsetting.

It is for to play Padsounds for worship in the church - but not for instead a piano.

Still i use MK3 togther with Kontaktplayer and my own instrument with Chord samples Build with my DAW.

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,196 Expert
    edited April 2023

Thank you for info. Always something to learn, in this world ☺️

Ps: “own chords” yes yes yes +1