win 10 driver on dell laptops causing latency with traktor?

Ming
Ming Member Posts: 6 Member

I have a fairly powerfull dell ispiron 5570 laptop with 16 gb ram, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz  2.90 GHz, 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor, and 1 tb ssd. It runs on win 10 home 22h2 version. I have real latency issues with traktor 3.8 on this laptop. I have run many tests using latency mon, and know the culprit of my nightmares, wdfs01000.sys/kernel mode driver framework runtime, but can't seem to be able to disable it- Can anyone with the same problem share some insight on how to resolve this efficiently please?

Best Answers

• Sûlherokhh
    Sûlherokhh Member, Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,660 mod
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓

You can't disable wdfs01000.sys since running it is a necessity (don't know right now exactly what it drives). I vaguely remember looking for updated drivers via the web and managed to install one that did the trick. I'm sorry i can't remember what it was that i did exactly, except that the driver I installed wasn't the latest (which i had installed before) but one of the previous drivers a year older.

EDIT: After checking it has become clear why i couldn't pinpoint the cause so easily. Wdf01000.sys is the 'Windows Driver Framework' for all drivers. You have to check and update just about all your drivers, one by one checking if things get better (or worse). It's cumbersome but well worth the effort.

• zephry
    zephry Member Posts: 566 Pro
    Answer ✓

Try uninstalling the Support Assist software for Dell.

My old Dell G7 had Dpc Latency problems, I used a program called Process Lasso to force the cores to run Traktor away from the spiking cores. (Called setting affinity.)

This worked ok, but the Support Assist software ended up being what caused the spikes, it was running in the background constantly checking the system.

I still used the Support Assist, but would uninstall it after checking for updates.

• dj_estrela
    dj_estrela Member Posts: 158 Pro
    Answer ✓

@Ming , please unistall dell support assyst

Full story here:

https://github.com/pestrela/smi_counter#a-dell-supportassist-problems

Answers

• Sûlherokhh
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓

You can't disable wdfs01000.sys since running it is a necessity (don't know right now exactly what it drives). I vaguely remember looking for updated drivers via the web and managed to install one that did the trick. I'm sorry i can't remember what it was that i did exactly, except that the driver I installed wasn't the latest (which i had installed before) but one of the previous drivers a year older.

EDIT: After checking it has become clear why i couldn't pinpoint the cause so easily. Wdf01000.sys is the 'Windows Driver Framework' for all drivers. You have to check and update just about all your drivers, one by one checking if things get better (or worse). It's cumbersome but well worth the effort.

• Ming
    Ming Member Posts: 6 Member

Tka mate your replay above. This morning I updated my bios and 2 other drivers. Will chek the rest one by one as you suggest.

• Sûlherokhh

Good luck. Especially check your bottlenecks, like usb-drivers. And make sure all your USB device entries can't be deactivated automatically by your system when not in use (via device manager).

• zephry
    Answer ✓

Try uninstalling the Support Assist software for Dell.

My old Dell G7 had Dpc Latency problems, I used a program called Process Lasso to force the cores to run Traktor away from the spiking cores. (Called setting affinity.)

This worked ok, but the Support Assist software ended up being what caused the spikes, it was running in the background constantly checking the system.

I still used the Support Assist, but would uninstall it after checking for updates.

• zephry

For dpc latency the issue is either a power or a background process that causes unstable audio processing.

So anything that automatically lowers power consumption (things like using the laptop on battery or sleep modes).

Or monitoring applications like support or update managers for other applications, many applications will constantly check for updates or scan. Virus protection as well. And battery level used to be a big one for issues. Up until I bought my Asus Rogzephyrusg14, I unplugged or took batteries out of all my laptops to stop spikes.

• dj_estrela
    dj_estrela Member Posts: 158 Pro
    Answer ✓

@Ming , please unistall dell support assyst

Full story here:

https://github.com/pestrela/smi_counter#a-dell-supportassist-problems