When did NI retire Pro 53 ?

2pods
2pods Member Posts: 33 Member

Why was that, and would it have run in Windows 10 anyway ?

Are there any good replacements that don't cost the earth ?

TIA

Best Answers

ยซ1

Answers

• chk071
    chk071 Member Posts: 356 Pro
    Answer โœ“

"When did NI retire Pro 53 ?"

Dunno. Some time in the 2000's, I think. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I think NI always recommended Super 8 as a replacement. Or the Poly Synth in Maschine.

• 2pods

Was it ever in any of the Komplete bundles, and, if so, what was the last one it was included in ?

• chk071
    edited April 2023 Answer โœ“

The internet says that Komplete 5 (released in 2008) was the last one which included Pro-53.

I don't think you can activate Pro-53 anymore though. Or most of the stuff in Komplete 6.

• 2pods

Ah, well.

It's a pity.

I liked the look and sound of that.

Thanks for your help

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert
    Answer โœ“

May 31 2020 was the last day when it was possible authorise that plugin. :-( And many more...

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/360006053397-Service-Center-and-Legacy-Products-End-of-Life

• Kymeia
    Kymeia Member Posts: 3,605 Expert
    edited April 2023

It's funny there are far better Prophet 5 emulations available but there's still a lot of nostalgia for Pro 53 and rightly so. I still have a copy of a very early edition of Computer Music magazine where they reviewed the original NI Pro 5 alongside Steinberg's Model E (which was nowhere near as good - either as an emulation or as a synth plugin) - those were exciting times for computer based music.

btw NI should add Polysynth to Komplete Kontrol as a synth engine to go alongside the sampler engines. Also I don't know why they recommend Super 8 as a replacement, it's much more a Rolandy sort of thing than a Prophet

• chk071

As far as I read, the Super 8 filter was modelled on the Prophet-5's filter. Probably the reason why NI recommends it as a replacement.

• Kymeia
    edited April 2023

Really? I stand corrected, I am not the only person to think it sounds Rolandish though

• 2pods

@Kymeia

What would you recommend ?

• chk071

Could well be. After all, the filter is not the only sound shaping element.

• chk071

The obvious thing would probably be u-he's RePro. If you want to pay that much, of course. It costs 149 โ‚ฌ.

• 2pods

It would have to be good at that price, though the Arturia and UAD are even more expensive.

I'd better save up for a bit ๐Ÿ˜„

I wish Cherry Audio would do a version.

• Kymeia

I don't think Cherry Audio would do as good a job as u-he - the Arturia one is also excellent and often on sale, and Repro is really 2 plugins so well worth it imho

• 2pods

I'll check them out

Thanks

• Paule
    Paule Member Posts: 1,328 Expert

For Maschine users there is/was a plugin by NI.