Maschine+ as slave. How does start/stop behave?

Leibregime
Leibregime Member Posts: 4 Member

Hello there. I want to MIDI clock sync my M+ as slave to a Korg SQ1 (which is also CV clocked by a Pulsar 23).

My question is: Can I still use the Start/Stop Controls on my Maschine when the device is slave to another clock or are they overruled by the SQ1?

My goal is to get some wonky BPM modulation coming from the Pulsar CV clock but keep everything else regarding Maschine Controls.

So just clock, nothing else.

Is this possible?

Best Answer

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓

No.

The old Master/Slave terms relate directly to wether the device sends start/stop messages or expects to receive them. The terminology changed at some point to Send/Receive and behaves the same way.

So, if you want to transport to work from the M+ you have to set it as Send Clock (formerly ´Master´).

AFAIK this is the standard in all HW/SW.

Answers

• tetsuneko
    tetsuneko Member Posts: 587 Guru

IIRC play/stop (well, play at least) stops working as soon as you clock slave M+

Might be mistaken though, haven't used it recently, but I think that's the way it worked last time I clock slaved my Maschine..

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓

No.

The old Master/Slave terms relate directly to wether the device sends start/stop messages or expects to receive them. The terminology changed at some point to Send/Receive and behaves the same way.

So, if you want to transport to work from the M+ you have to set it as Send Clock (formerly ´Master´).

AFAIK this is the standard in all HW/SW.

• Leibregime
    Leibregime Member Posts: 4 Member

Bummer.

I wonder if the SQ1 start/stop messages would even work when it is clocked by the CV clock of the pulsar...

Need to borrow one of those before I shelf out the 100 bucks.

But thanks a lot for your input