Clever ideas to use your old Maschine MK1 as an extra controller?

mmk_music
mmk_music Member Posts: 39 Member
edited April 2023 in Maschine

I was wondering if anyone has found a way to use a Maschine MK1 in their setup to help with workflow or if this is even possible. Thanks!

Comments

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,194 Expert

You should be able to use the mk1 in midi mode and assign it to a specific group or to switch Scenes/Lock States/Sections.

I do this all the time with my F1, cause it is more compact than my mk1 and I don’t need Maschine pads sensitivity to select Scenes and Lock States

• LostInFoundation

Probably in midi mode you can also assign the knobs to Macros by midi learning them

• mmk_music

Thanks! That’s along the lines of what I was thinking.

• LostInFoundation

You’re welcome.

But a full Maschine just for 8 knobs (even if you can use them many times in different pages) probably is a bit…gigantic ☺️

At this point try to incorporate in your workflow also the pads for switching Scenes/Lock states/Sections, since they are there 😉

• Kaldosh
    Kaldosh Member Posts: 296 Advisor

If you create content they can be very good controller for video editing

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited April 2023

What @LostInFoundation said is the first thing that comes to mind and is intuitive enough to do.

If you want to geek out then there's lots of apps out there that let you convert MIDI to other stuff, like mouse clicks in certain places, keyboard shortcuts, etc... This can be helpful in Music or anything else computer related.

• LostInFoundation
    edited April 2023

Oh…yes…I gave for granted you were asking about a Maschine workflow…but let’s not forget Maschine MK1 is a valid midi controller. Even without converting midi to other stuffs, it can be used as a controller for other audio applications (some of them even have scripts for using it without any configuration being requested from users, like Ableton Live)

• mmk_music

Interesting. I never even thought about this!

I use Final Cut Pro for my editing so I'll take a look into it, thanks.

• Kaldosh

nice , if you are on mac an Final cut pro user try looking for CommandPost it really helps to integrate a midi device

• mmk_music

How did I not know about this?! THANK YOU

The features in this might slash my editing time in half..

• Scaper7
    Scaper7 Member Posts: 13 Member
    edited April 2023

i've been using a MkI as part of a Traktor control setup for years ... MkI has pages for FX tweakage, monitor control, headphone mix/level, preview/seek and lots more ... X1 is transport and EQ/kills + rotary volume for decks A+B ... F1 is used for cue points on decks A+B with faders/filter knobs for decks ABCD above

drum machine and groove box run as live inputs to decks C+D - (can be cued/soloed/filtered and mixed as decks within Traktor) ... pressing 'Play' on MkI sends MIDI clock and syncs up the drum/groove machines

Maschine Mk1 is great for this ... encoders are very smooth and still working fine after many years ... fwiw, X1 and F1 have the identical to profile to the Mk1 ... they rack up well together ... this system works so well (tight as)

• Kaldosh

I was looking for a way to complete my Ableton Maschine Studio template and also create some for Izotope RX and Davinci resolve. Then I found that little program that I pair with Touch Portal(streamdeck alternative where I designed my own app and plugin launcher for Ableton. Also made my own control pages for Affinity design. All this has greatly improved my setup . Depending the way Apps are coded, commandpost has the ability or not to acquire some functions directly from the api and list them allowing us to assign those function to midi control which is how I proceded to connect with Touch Portal through the midi plugin. Very handy tool, though I didn't find any windows alternative

• LostInFoundation

How satisfying is it to see those 3 controllers fit so perfectly into that metal frame? It’s my version of ASMR to see things like this 🤤

• schpilkas
    schpilkas Member Posts: 2 Member
    edited April 2023

How are you able to get the MK1 to work as a general midi controller with MacOS Catalina & higher?

• whereisko
    whereisko Member Posts: 5 Member

I thought my MK1 was obsolete after I got a new Mac with Catalina so haven’t tried it since. This could be a game changer