Display midi notes?

zolex
zolex Member Posts: 3 Newcomer

Can the kontrol s88 use midi clips to only light the keys to play but not actually play them?

Best Answer

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,531 Expert
    Answer ✓

You can control the LEDs with a DAW by setting midi out to the keyboard and having a track with midi on it, set to output to the keyboard midi port. It will highlight the playing notes. I do this for my daughter for piano practice.

Answers

• Keith Cocker
    Keith Cocker Member Posts: 120 Advisor

Turn the volume down?😀

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 2,966 mod

That or just use a midi channel with no connection to an VST instrument and set midi out to the s88 - load your midi clip and play.

• zolex

okay so maybe I didn't make my point clear:

Can it just light the keys that I have to play in order to learn?

So it only lights the keys but not play, while I play it :p

• Uwe303
    edited April 2023

Will have to try it, but i guess it should work, like i said but you can additionally create a instrument channel with the s88 as input. I don't own an s88 but i could try with my maschine studio it should behave the same with midi input (light keys/pads up) and midi out for sure. But you could try on your own by sending midi notes to the keyboard in midi mode also try different velocities. If that works you can do what you want - if not it will not work.

• Uwe303

I asked and i guess you can't control the lights on the keyboard with midi notes, the LEDs are controlled by a background service bound to komplete kontrol somehow. But try it yourself in midi mode then you know for sure.

• zolex

I don't have a kontrol. Would consider to buy one if this Feature exists

• Uwe303
    edited April 2023

With komplete kontrol series keyboards you will have a light guide mirroring the coloured keys from komplete instruments loaded within komplete kontrol. But you can't create your own light guide. But you can split the keyboard in up to 16 zones and colour them as you like and save that as preset. If you consider to buy a keyboard or whatever, i would always advice to watch some videos and read the manual. But they can't do what you have asked for on your first post.

• JesterMgee
    Answer ✓

You can control the LEDs with a DAW by setting midi out to the keyboard and having a track with midi on it, set to output to the keyboard midi port. It will highlight the playing notes. I do this for my daughter for piano practice.

• Uwe303

Thx for confirming, so like i said one midi channel with the note data you want to have displayed, and another instrument track for monitoring your key presses?

• JesterMgee

Yep, Just have one channel with only MIDI notes and no instrument, set to output to the keyboards MIDI In and another channel set as a record input channel with the instrument you want to play. I usually put a piano instrument on the "feedback" channel at low volume to hear what is played and have to extend and adjust the notes on the midi channel to make it more "visually" appealing to follow to play, but can be done.