NIPatcher - Tool to modify Komplete Kontrol (MacOS)

D-One
D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
edited February 28 in Komplete Kontrol

Same as NIPatcher for Maschine, I'm also making a thread here in the KK forum to keep more things organized as the app grows. Small video of the process here:

NIPatcher is a modding tool to edit the Komplete Kontrol app / plugins and change things like the GUI window size, browser size, font sizes, etc... To improve the readability and user experience, tiny fonts be gone! 😆

Will be open-source once I clean up my ugly code and learn a bit more about dealing with Github. No Windows support, I might consider it eventually if there's some decent engagement but for now, I need feedback for this release.

EDIT: NIPatcher is open-source now. I don't know how to handle push/pull requests yet but doubt anyone would contribute anyway. Will focus on Windows for a while and see if I can manage that so any other progress is halted.

Window Size

• Changes the GUI window size height, 'with' or 'without' a plugin loaded. I advise keeping the relationship of originals values, meaning that if you increase the pixel value of With Plugin by 300 pixels then also add 300 pixels in the Without Plugin option.

Font

Changes the font sizes:

• Butttos - Tags, File Stab, Scale/Arp buttons, MIDI Learn Knobs/Buttons, and probably more stuff.
  • Labels - Preset result list, main MIDI learn button, and probably more stuff.

I'll consider suggestions to change other font sizes.

Wide Browser

• A collection of several small mods that makes the browser wider enough to allow 4 rows of product thumbnails instead of 3. (Thanks @Pete96 for sharing the details required for this in the old forum)

If you're new here and need some context read this thread from the old forum. Here's an example of what NIPatcher can do side-by-side with the original unpatched software:

Change Log:

V1.1.1 - April 5 2023

Added: Source Code to Github.

Added: Logo change for KK, so the user knows for sure if it's modded.

Added: Default window size when opening NIPatcher.

Fixed: Codesign not clearing the text window if used more than once.

Some more stuff I don't remember.

v1.1 - April 1 2023

Added support for Komplete Kontrol (Separate thread)

Fixed a bug with codesign.

Minor cosmetic changes.

v1.0 - March 29 2023

First release. Maschine only.

Comments

• solsta
    solsta Member Posts: 93 Helper

amazing work friend!

• eaglepass
    eaglepass Member Posts: 3 Member

Fantastic!!! Yes Windows please!!!!

• D-One

Added a video to the original post to make it more clear what the Patcher can do for now.

• Jojo123
    Jojo123 Member Posts: 231 Advisor

Hi @D-One

I saw your amazing efforts in the old forum not long after I bought into NI with K13 UCE.

Thankyou for this latest project. Ive been working with support to try and get a nasty crashing problem sorted out after I updated KK recently, which gives Logic a hard crash. The only stability I get is the older 2.7.2 KK version. Im not sure what minimum KK version you'd require at this point so until I get this sorted I'll hold off. But Im interested in trying out your tool once this fiasco is sorted.

Thankyou for what you do.

• D-One

Thanks @Jojo123 :)

I haven't done any version testing but all the current mods were pulled from the old forum thread, so it should work. Theres no reason for the internal files that have GUI definitions to change since the GUI hasn't changed in ages.

At some point i'll do some testing to see exactly what the min version required is, not sure how i will get my hands on all versions to test tho.

• Jojo123
    Jojo123 Member Posts: 231 Advisor

Hi @D-One

Thanks.

NI gave me a link to my previous version 2.7.2. Not sure if the link still works, but its in the 4th post in this thread if you want to try it.

https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/11281/logic-hard-crashing-after-updating-kk-and-a-number-of-plugins#latest

• Stephen Howe
    Stephen Howe Member Posts: 5 Member

This broke my Komplete Kontrol VTS3 plugin. It now refuses to appear in my Ableton plugins window and I can't seem to get it back.

It is outrageous that Native Instruments have allowed this situation to occur. It shouldn't be the responsibility of a moderator in the forums to make the software UI usable (Although I do appreciate your effort D-One). Without this, I can't use the preferences dialogue as I am unable to close it after opening it. I need the window to be resizable to be able to use the software, but the only way to do this is with a third-party hack. And the hack breaks my software.

I've spent thousands on this software suite and in its current state is barely usable. Buying native instruments software might be one of the worst decisions I've ever made. It is a brick wall in my creative process currently.

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,198 Expert

I’m not so sure D-One hack is the culprit. Some other users not using it are reporting similar issues, so maybe the hack has nothing to do with it.

In any case you can try to revert back removing the hack to see if the software gets “unbroken”

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,535 Expert

Always make sure you make a backup. I am sure the tool creates a backup, just revert to that if needed or reinstall KK. Eventually KK will have a resizable window, but won’t mean the plug-in guis will be any larger, just the window will resize.

• D-One
    edited May 2023

If you don't codesign the plugins after patching them then Ableton won't load them, Ableton checks for 'modified' plugins, it's the only DAW I know that does this for whatever stupid reason. This is explained in the "how to use" guide.

You can just use the copy button again, codesign the plugs/app and move back and replace it again.

I agree it's a bit embarrassing for NI but besides helping the community that's actually the point of this software! My moderator role doesn't have anything to do with this tho, I'd do it regardless.

• Tony5
    Tony5 Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

What's the code language it's written in? Is it open source? I'm looking to do a bit of modding myself.

• D-One
    edited February 1

It's Swift. It's all on GitHub link on OP, the full Xcode project.

I must warn you, the code ain't pretty idk any standards of organization but tried to keep it as neat as I could... It's basically a glorified text replacer. I don't even know if it works for the latest 2.9.6 version tbh.

Given that KK3 is out now and this had barely any response from the community I'll likely kill this project soon, archive it in case anyone wants to continue it, copy it, whatever... there's no license at all.

• D-One

Given that KK3 can't be edited this way and this project barely had any feedback from the KK community I'm closing this thread and will no longer offer KK support in case I further develop the app.

I'm still considering shutting the whole thing down but maybe I will just continue with support for Maschine only, which has it's own dedicated thread: https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/11786/nipatcher-tool-to-modify-maschine-macos#latest

For all those of tested and showed any interest and support: Thank you! 🙏

Thread Closed.

This discussion has been closed.