Traktor Pro does not recognize my controller

I submitted this to customer service over a week ago and we've been going in circles and they will not escalate it.

The hardware:

• Traktor S2 Mk3
  • Windows 10 laptop

DJ Pro 3 software up to date. One day it stopped recognizing the controller. There was no red "please attach equipment" banner in DJ Pro, but the controller did not light up and the UI did not reflect any actions on the controller. The controller still works fine on another computer. The laptop sees the S2 as a USB device.

Have reinstalled DJ Pro. Have reinstalled Controller Editor (multiple times)

The NIHardwareService:

• When I first checked the Services tab of the task Manager, NIHardwareService was stuck in a "Starting" state, and could not be restarted or stopped
  • After most recent Controller Editor re-install, it does not appear in the Services tab of the Task Manager at all.

Miscellaneous:

I tried the NI registry cleaner before re-installing. I have tried running the Windows utility to find corrupted files. No change.

At this point I'm ready to completely re-install windows, and then the NI software from scratch. I am open to less drastic ideas.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• nskcharles
    nskcharles Member Posts: 31 Member
    Answer ✓

I reinstalled windows. Everything working now :)

Answers

• lord-carlos
    lord-carlos Member Posts: 2,216 Expert

Does the controller work with other midi software on that computer?

• nskcharles

The only other midi software I tried was the Controller Editor, which said: "Error, The Native Instruments Hardware Controller Support is not running".

I can try something else if you can recommend

• lord-carlos
    lord-carlos Member Posts: 2,216 Expert

This website can show midi signals, only works with some browser though. I think Chrome is a save bet https://www.midimonitor.com/

• nskcharles

midimonitor does not detect any midi signals from the S2Mk3. I tested the monitor, and it works for another midi device I have

• nskcharles

Started the S2Mk3 in MIDI mode and midimonitor does detect it!

• nskcharles

Native Instruments customer support has severely let me down on this.  

I opened this ticket (#3654940) on March 24th

Did not get any response until March 30th

As of today, April 7, the only suggested course of action has been to reinstall the Controller Editor. The rep, Pedro, has suggested this three times, and it is still not working. He has also requested that I check the service tab of the task manager, which I have. Each interaction takes another day. I have asked multiple times for him to escalate, and he has not.

I've had excellent interactions with NI in the past. I am looking for any way to get this redirected to someone who can help.

• Stevan
    Stevan Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,621 mod

Did you run any optimization scripts by chance?

It sounds like some processes are suspended.

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,194 Expert
    edited April 2023

I know maybe it sounds strange, but…did you also check your computer usb ports? Are them all working? Is the S2 plugged directly or into a USB hub? Did you try other usb ports on the computer itself?

Maybe this has nothing to do with it, but before reinstalling Windows and everything else, I would check these possibilities too (on windows malfunctioning of usb ports is not so uncommon)

• nskcharles
    Answer ✓

I reinstalled windows. Everything working now :)

• nskcharles

fwiw, the USB ports were working and windows could see the controller as a NI S2M3 controller.

No optimization scripts.

It was definitely an issue with NIHardwareService starting up.