what prefer for beginning Techno-DJ: BeatGrid or TempoSync? [S4Mk3]

The Sarge
The Sarge Member Posts: 124 Helper

hi there,

I want to use all the advantages of the S4Mk3, so the right settings are very important to me as a beginner.

This also means that for the time being, the SYNC function is used and true beat mixing is a later goal.

This raises 2 questions as to what I need to set in "transport"-preferences:

BeatGrid or TempoSync ?

My guess is BeatGrid.

And: Only On Air Decks can be Tempo Master

I would activate that, right

What else do I have to consider so that it works fairly smoothly at the beginning?

Many thanks in advance for the help

The Sarge!

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Comments

• The Sarge

if this is answered elsewhere, pls gimma the link - read the last 16 pages and didn´t found it

• PZZO
    PZZO Member Posts: 18 Helper
    Answer ✓

I think it comes down to your preferred playing style.

Tempo sync lines up decks with the master tempo. Beat sync goes a step further and starts playing the track lined up to the beat. Tempo sync needs some manual correction, but beat sync can go awry if your beat grids aren't properly set or if you miss your cue (e.g. the 2nd beat will play on top of the 1st).

In my opinion, since you have an S4, I would probably go with tempo sync. Even if you hit play slightly off beat, you can use the jogwheels to correct it pretty easily.

If you plan to do the whole 4-deck live techno thing a la Richie Hawtin down the road, then maybe beat sync is what you try next.

Hope that helps!

• Stevan
    Stevan Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,621 mod

I prefer TempoSync when ever it is possible and using BeatSync only for Ableton Link setup.

• The Sarge
    edited April 2023

thanks

so a half point for beat and 2 points for TempoSync

maybe some more experiences?!

• The Sarge
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓

when I watch this official video from NI, then BeatSync is the better solution in the beginning for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS36BjIpDVw