Is there any way to fix a problematic key?

Nolan
Nolan Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

Hey folks,

I have a 4-year-old lightly used M32 with a misbehaving key. It seems to work, but the intensity seems much higher when compared to its neighbors. Initially it didn't work at all, or worked very sporadically, but a bit of upside-down shaking and blowing into the area got it to the point where it plays mostly loudly. Tried with multiple instruments, same behavior.

Wondering if there's any hope for this thing? It's older and out of warranty but if I can fix it rather than throw it away then obviously I'd rather.

Thanks.

Comments

• Peter Harris
    Peter Harris Member Posts: 470 Pro

I've never looked inside one of their keyboards but I had a misbehaving Maschine Mikro MK3 that I successfully repaired. I bought it second hand cheaply on the off-chance that I could fix it and to my surprise at worked.

I just removed all of the screws, some of them are a little tricky because they may be hidden behind little rubber pads or labels. (Take photos of everything just in case the reassembly isn't as obvious as the disassembly.)

Once I got all of them out I used clean paint brushes, lots of q-tips, and isopropyl alcohol and thoroughly cleaned all of the membranes and pads and switches that I could. (As it turns out mine may have been used in a music studio where people were smoking a lot of weed because it was filled with little sticky crumbs of pot leaves and resin.)

Then just make sure it's dry before you reassemble and put it all back together and see what happens. Sounds like there's not much downside for you since it's out of warranty. Good luck with it. It was actually quite gratifying to have it work! 🤞