Komplete S88 and Scale Setting On affects other Midi instruments!

Damo9000
Damo9000 Member Posts: 4 Member
edited April 2023 in Komplete Kontrol

Apologies if this has been mentioned previously.

When I for example set up my Komplete s88 in one 'group', and my NanoKey or any other instrument in another 'group' (see attached pic - not sure if these are considered "groups"), whenever I use the Scale setting on my Komplete s88, all the other midi instruments scales are also affected! I cannot play the other instruments normally. This seems kinda odd but I cant seem to figure out how to make the S88 just do its own thing without messing up the other connected midi instruments!

Help?

Tagged:

Best Answers

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,197 Expert
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓

I’m almost sure the Komplete keyboard is not “materially” doing anything when engaging the Scale (or Chords) mode, except telling the software to do the job.

Therefore, engaging it on the keyboard just sends a message to the software which then starts working in this modes.

That’s why then all your other hardwares starts following this behavior.

Maybe someone can correct me if this is not the case

• LostInFoundation

Other instruments (or better controllers) can play notes, but you have to disengage chords mode.

Aka you can’t play in 2 different modes simultaneously

Answers

• LostInFoundation

I’m almost sure the Komplete keyboard is not “materially” doing anything when engaging the Scale (or Chords) mode, except telling the software to do the job.

Therefore, engaging it on the keyboard just sends a message to the software which then starts working in this modes.

That’s why then all your other hardwares starts following this behavior.

Maybe someone can correct me if this is not the case

• LostInFoundation

Practically this modes just tell the software something like “when receiving a C3 MIDI message, play this (or these) notes.

Therefore, sending a C3 from other hardwares will in any case follow these rules

• LostInFoundation

If you are talking about the Nanokeys Studio, this hardware also have an internal scales/chords mode.

You could use its features instead of Maschine’s ones. But I understand it would not be the same. Let’s call it a workaround

• Damo9000

ok so this is very odd. I guess using Scale affects all the MIDI in the Machine DAW.

That seems really dumb if I want to play "CHORDS" on the Komplete s88 but every other instrument (NanoKey2 or my KeystepPro) is now hobbled and cant play notes normally?

Seems like a rather large oversight..

• LostInFoundation

Other instruments (or better controllers) can play notes, but you have to disengage chords mode.

Aka you can’t play in 2 different modes simultaneously

• LostInFoundation
    edited April 2023

In general, NI never liked too much the idea of 2 controllers doing 2 different things (see also focus mode). You CAN assign a second controller to a specific group, but everything seems quite convoluted to me and it could be implemented in an easier and more efficient way.

What is really strange is that they don’t even allow 2 Maschines to work together in tandem (things that could eventually double the number of their sales). Or a Maschine doing one thing and a KK completely another one.

• Damo9000

Ah well. I guess thats just a limitation. I have a Jam and a Machine and they dont exactly work as I would hope in tandem either. It aint perfect but it still kicks butt. Cant win em all.

Thanks for the insight everyone! Happy Maschining!

• LostInFoundation

I agree…Jam with Maschine kick butt. And so…they discontinued it…

You see what I mean by “NI decisions are really strange”??? 😶

• Damo9000

I will add. My Machine and Jam can both do chords/scales and not mess up the other instruments, only Komplete S88 seems to be the issue here..

Very bizzare.. :/

Doesnt make any lick o' sense to me..