Komplete Kontrol: Loading 3rd Party VSTs from the preview pane?

Audiobabble
Audiobabble Member Posts: 10 Member

New to KK...

I seem to have a problem loading 3rd party VSTs via the preview pane... for example U-he Zebra 2 -- I get the previews of the sounds, but when I double click, I get "Problem loading Zebra 2"

yet... I can load Zebra 2 (and other 3rd party vsts) directly via the dropdown next to the magnifying glass.

Is this normal? Why have the previews if you cant load them easily?

Am I expecting too much? Is the ability to load 3rd party VSTs just "icing on the cake" and really KK is best suited to organizing and browsing NI plugins? Seems a shame if that's the case!

Best Answer

• Audiobabble
    Answer ✓

Figured out the problem:

I was looking at presets in the factory library -- therefore only NI plugins would load from previews.

Having switched to the user library view, now my 3rd party plugins load from previews.

The confusing part was that the non-factory (i.e. 3rd party) previews show up in the factory view as well!

Answers

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,738 mod

'NKS Ready' plugins like u-he Zebra etc should load from the NKS. Are you on Apple Silicon by any chance? If so you may need to update Zebra to the latest version for NKS to load the plugin

Many third party plugins that are not officially supported on NKS can also be loaded but you need to integrate the NKS files and support files yourself. Check out these 2 threads:

https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/332/nks-user-library#latest

https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/305/nks-freelance-soundlabs-3rd-party-nks-libraries-for-komplete-kontrol-maschine#latest

• Audiobabble

I'm on windows 11. DAW is Reaper, sorry should have said.

I have nks versions of Zebra, Diva and Arturia V Collection 9... all of them load fine as instruments within KK, if I load them via the dropdown next to the magnifying glass. But NOT if I double-click a preview.

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,738 mod

Do you have the VST2 versions installed or just VST3? I think on Windows you may still need the VST2 for some of these

• Audiobabble
    Answer ✓

Figured out the problem:

I was looking at presets in the factory library -- therefore only NI plugins would load from previews.

Having switched to the user library view, now my 3rd party plugins load from previews.

The confusing part was that the non-factory (i.e. 3rd party) previews show up in the factory view as well!