No Sustain Pedal Functionality with Scarbee Rickenbacker Bass Instrument

JackofAllStudios
JackofAllStudios Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

I am unable to get the Scarbee Rickenbacker Bass Instrument to sustain. Not with my pedal when playing the notes or even when I draw it in. Sustain working fine on other instruments. The Scarbee Rickenbacker Bass will only do staccato notes, which is useless to me. How do I fix this?

Best Answers

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,261 Expert
    Answer ✓

There is a sustain keyswitch (A-1) if it can be useful to you

• Gee_Flat
    Gee_Flat Member Posts: 906 Guru
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓

The A-1 sustain was just an added feature, since the sustain pedal is being used for slides. Bass isn't meant to be played with sustain, but there may be an instance where A-1 is useful as @LostInFoundation mentioned, but even the manual recommends not using it as a common practice.

If your notes were muted then most likely the velocity of the notes was to low, a setting is choking the notes, or a quick release isn't letting the note ring out, which it shouldn't. You have to hold those notes to sustain them and to recreate the authentic sound of a bass.

Using the A-1 key in general will just create a muddled unpleasant mess.

------

Edit: From Rickenbacker Manual

Note that sustaining notes will not allow RICKENBACKER® BASS enough time to play the release sample of one note before the next note starts. Without the release samples you will lose some of the important variation that increases realism. Therefore it is recommended not to overuse this feature.

Answers

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,261 Expert
    Answer ✓

There is a sustain keyswitch (A-1) if it can be useful to you

• Gee_Flat
    Gee_Flat Member Posts: 906 Guru
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓

The A-1 sustain was just an added feature, since the sustain pedal is being used for slides. Bass isn't meant to be played with sustain, but there may be an instance where A-1 is useful as @LostInFoundation mentioned, but even the manual recommends not using it as a common practice.

If your notes were muted then most likely the velocity of the notes was to low, a setting is choking the notes, or a quick release isn't letting the note ring out, which it shouldn't. You have to hold those notes to sustain them and to recreate the authentic sound of a bass.

Using the A-1 key in general will just create a muddled unpleasant mess.

------

Edit: From Rickenbacker Manual

Note that sustaining notes will not allow RICKENBACKER® BASS enough time to play the release sample of one note before the next note starts. Without the release samples you will lose some of the important variation that increases realism. Therefore it is recommended not to overuse this feature.