Difference between one shots and loops

JRGariano
JRGariano Member Posts: 22 Member
edited April 2023 in Maschine

I use Machine+ exclusively in stand alone mode. I've created numerous projects over the last couple of years I've owned the device.

Looking in the browser with the "user" setting highlighted, I notice that some of my project sample files show up under the loops menu, and others show up under the one shots menu.

When does the Maschine+ browser decide to treat a WAV file as a one shot and when does it decide to treat it as a loop?

Best Answer

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓

It's a browser tag.

When does the Maschine+ browser decide to treat a WAV file as a one shot and when does it decide to treat it as a loop?

Assuming you're recording the audio and not just loading pre-existing ones Maschine decides it based on how you record:

• Detect and Sync Mode will use the Sampler, so it will be tagged as a "One-Shot".
    • Loop Mode will use the Audio-Plugin so it will be tagged as a "Loop".

The distinction is so that Maschine knows with what instrument the audio will be loaded, a Sampler or an Audio-Plug.

There's no way to change tags on an M+ tho, only in Maschine desktop.

Annoyingly, when there's no "Content Type" tag, it defaults to being under "Loops" afaik in the case of adding user content by putting external pre-existing audio in your SD card.

Answers

• Peter Harris
    Peter Harris Member Posts: 470 Pro

Whether it's considered a loop is a function of whether the loop attribute is set in the browsing system. And the advantage of a loop properly defined that way is that Maschine will automatically adjust its tempo to your project's even when previewing. Super handy!

• D-One
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓

It's a browser tag.

Assuming you're recording the audio and not just loading pre-existing ones Maschine decides it based on how you record:

• Detect and Sync Mode will use the Sampler, so it will be tagged as a "One-Shot".
    • Loop Mode will use the Audio-Plugin so it will be tagged as a "Loop".

The distinction is so that Maschine knows with what instrument the audio will be loaded, a Sampler or an Audio-Plug.

There's no way to change tags on an M+ tho, only in Maschine desktop.

Annoyingly, when there's no "Content Type" tag, it defaults to being under "Loops" afaik in the case of adding user content by putting external pre-existing audio in your SD card.

• JRGariano
    JRGariano Member Posts: 22 Member

Thanks D-One for explaining how Maschine+ tags the files differently based on your recording method.

Based on my experience, when I load pre-existing audio onto my SD card, it shows up under the one-shot menu (not the loop menu), and it stays that way even after I load the pre-existing audio into a clip using the audio plug-in.

• Peter Harris
    Peter Harris Member Posts: 470 Pro

If you want to switch the tags from one shot to loop, especially in batches, this tool is a lifesaver. Maschine AutoTagger was created by an enterprising independent developer and I think D-one even help to test it, right? IMHO worth every penny!

• D-One

Yeah, haven't done much, just ran it a few times and made sure it worked. It def worth it if you have a lot of stuff.

Oh, interesting... Yeah just using the module won't change the tag data or add any in case there isn't any.