Electric Sunburst Deluxe - instrument range

dyross
dyross Member Posts: 7 Newcomer
edited February 2022 in Kontakt

Hello,

I purchased Electric Sunburst Deluxe yesterday and was quite impressed by both the ease of use and the sound quality.

However, I ran into a show-stopping issue, at least for me. It seems the instrument range only goes up to the G# on the 16th fret on the high E string. What's up with that?

To be an effective melody instrument for many types of settings, getting up to the high B (19th fret) or even C (20th fret), especially in a bend, is pretty key. Any plans to update the instrument to provide a bigger range?

(It seems this is the same range as with the Electric Vintage, so not just a Les Paul thing.)

Thanks,

David

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod
    Answer ✓

Hey @dyross I've got feedback from the team behind these libraries "For single note samples, each string of the guitar has been recorded up to 16 frets above its root pitch, due to our technical framework, we decided on 16, since the overlaps of pitches among different string is already huge as it is.”

Answers

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert

That is an annoying limitation, as far as why, I could not speculate. One thing you could try is mapping a cc to "Tune" control , and just retune the highest note to fit...not an optimal solution, but if the passage is not to complicated, may get you past the limitation...

• dyross

Thanks for the response. Is this a good place to have NI see the issue and opine?

• Jeremy_NI

Hey David,

That's a valid point, I will ask our Kontakt Instruments team to get more info. I don't think the range will be extended since it would require to record the instrument again, but I'll ask.

• dyross

Hi Jeremy - thank you!

• Jeremy_NI
    Answer ✓

Hey @dyross I've got feedback from the team behind these libraries "For single note samples, each string of the guitar has been recorded up to 16 frets above its root pitch, due to our technical framework, we decided on 16, since the overlaps of pitches among different string is already huge as it is.”

• dyross

Hi @Jeremy_NI - thanks for following up. 16 frets makes sense for lower strings, but for the higher string specifically, there is no overlap at that range (it plays the highest notes on the guitar), so this is a bit of a shame.

• SAm22
    SAm22 Member Posts: 4 Newcomer

I purchased today the electric sunburst deluxe, hoping it would be also a good solo instrument.

Sound is great!

But then....

..missing the 5-6 highest halftones.

Are you kidding?

Is this a joke?

The instrument is called "Electric Sunburst Deluxe (Melody)"....., MELODY!!!!!!!

Is there a way, I can get the money back?

This instrument is useless to me with this limitations.

I really want me money back, if not I will write "one star" reviews over all the net and never buy anything from nti again.

• dyross

@SAm22 I couldn't agree with you more.

• dyross

@Jeremy_NI I have a support case (2826817) out on this topic for almost a week with no reply. Would you mind seeing if someone can help? Thanks!

• SAm22

I suppose NTI sampled this guitar only for pattern reasons and left out the highest notes because for patterns they are not that important. Then they nevertheless wanted to sell a "deluxe" update with the possibility of playing solo, but the sampling process was already done, so they thought: "f..ck the highest notes, we don't do a new recording session, most important thing is to make some extra money". This all would be ok, if they clearly pointed out that issue like: "Warning: this guitar is only a torso, the highest half-octave is not been sampled."

If I'm wrong, I'm sorry but then an explanation form NTI would be nice.

• Jeremy_NI

Hey Sam, as I posted earlier in this thread, this is the answer from the team: "For single note samples, each string of the guitar has been recorded up to 16 frets above its root pitch, due to our technical framework, we decided on 16, since the overlaps of pitches among different string is already huge as it is."

I understand that you might not be happy about this answer, 6 notes are missing, yes but compared to what you get in this library, calling it a rip off might be a little bit exagerated. This is common with all the newer Guitar libraries by the way.

I will forward your comments to the responsible teams.

• SAm22

Hi Jeremy,

Thank you for the answer.

It depends on the personal interests. For example I'm the type of midi-user, who consequently plays every note by hand; no loops, no copy-paste, no patterns and just sometimes soft kind of quantization. If notes are not good, I edit each of them with the mouse or I do a new take.

Ample Sound guitars have the full instrument range and the price is very comparable to sunbrust deluxe. So I expected the same from NTI, didn't have a clue, that upper notes could be missing.

So maybe you can understand my reaction.

• dyross

@Jeremy_NI just FYI, looks like NI made a similar decision with the new Prime Bass, which looks awesome, but has a limited upper range, unfortunately. I was planning on buying it but won't anymore.

• SAm22

Is it that uncommon nowadays, that the highest notes of an instrument are very often used for the climax of a solo, especially the electric guitar, which is used in so many musical styles in exactly that way, but also the bass, when soloing?

So offering such instruments without that possibility seems absurd to me. But maybe I'm too old-fashioned for newer VST-products, which also means, that I drop out of the group of potential buyers. Are you sure this a good business philosophy?

• Jeremy_NI

Hey @SAm22 I won't argue about this issue or the reasons of these missing notes. I don't think it was to exclude any kind of user group. Again, I understand your point of view and I've forwarded your comments to the responsible team.