REX files

Reaktfan
Reaktfan Member Posts: 11 Member

Is there anyway of generating REX files from Maschine or Kontakt?

Another question is there anyway of importing Akai files into maschine or Kontakt?

Thanks

Laz

Comments

• Aaron McPherson
    Aaron McPherson Member Posts: 24 Helper

The only way I know of to generate REX files is to have a copy of ReCycle from Reason Studios, or a copy of their Reason DAW. It is a proprietary format. Kontakt can read REX files, however.

Importing AKAI files into Kontakt should be possible; however, it depends on what format they are, and what version of Kontakt you are using. Kontakt 5 supported much wider range of formats than later versions, including a variety of AKAI formats, including S-1000, S-3000, .akp, akm, .snd, and .pgm. I keep it around primarily for the Soundfont compatibility, but that is another benefit. Of course, I don't know if you have access to that version.

There are various third-party utilities around for sample format conversion, but they generally don't work with encrypted formats. You should probably try a demo or read the documentation carefully. Since I don't know what AKAI format you are using specifically, I don't know whether it is encrypted.

According to the Maschine FAQ, Maschine can import REX2 as well as "MPC 500/1000/2000(XL)/2500/3000/4000 programs."

I hope this helps.

• Reaktfan

Thanks Aaron,

I keep Kontakt 5 but it won't import from my Akai sample cd's. I used to have a program on my old mac that could convert but of course does not work on 64bit

Also used Recycle in the old days but of course that also does not work on 64bit.

Thanks again

• Gee_Flat
    Gee_Flat Member Posts: 906 Guru

I remember reading here importing Akai files was abandoned with Kontakt 6.

• Reaktfan

Oh well, more stuff for the bin111

• David Wise
    David Wise Member Posts: 10 Member

As for Akai import.

I have a program called Awave Studio that does a decent job of reading Akai.

And it can create data in Kontakt format, so a conversion might well be possible.

• Reaktfan

Hi David,

Does it work on Mac